Thread: Repeating stud style pattern

Default Repeating stud style pattern

Does anyone know the best way to make a repeating pyramid 'stud style' effect pattern?

You can buy silver wire from Cookson (product NVZ 005) I'd like to make varying sizes like that. I'm new so not allowed to post Url to actual product.

Thanks

Easiest way I can think off is to file down appropriately sized triangular profile wire.

Nick

Perhaps file down a tool to the appropriate shape and stamp some squares to make pyramids or stamp at regular intervals along a strip to approach the effect seen in your triangular wire example.

Seeing the strip you wish to make, you could make a punch from a piece of square tool steel, with the end filed into notches with a square file, to produce a negative. While this would make a repeat pattern in clay, it would become tedious in metal and not very distinct in larger sizes, so I suggest you buy ready made instead.

Alternatively you could file the end of square wire into pyramids, as suggested by Nick, cut them off and solder in place.

I suspect we have not been told the whole story, but if you explain further, our suggestions might be more practical. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 21-10-2015 at 03:24 PM.

It can't be cost effective to make large amounts of this unless it was being cast or machined but as Dennis says it depends how much you want and what for.

Hello by the way, always good to meet new people

Thank you everybody. Some really good ideas here! I had been a little lost tbh so I appreciate this. I want to make various pieces which have a stud effect not dissimilar to the Cooksons wire I mentioned in my first post, but different sizes. I bought some actually and it looks like it's been through a rolling mill so I wonder if perhaps there's some sort of insert that can be bought for a mill.
    I'd be making prototypes to cast so doesn't matter if it's not too cost or time effective.

N
    Last edited by AJN; 22-10-2015 at 03:09 PM.

You are right in thinking it could be done in a mill, but there is none that I have seen, that would do it. So you could investigate a bespoke:

1. Extension roller for Durston Mills, which could produce ribbons, or
    2. A die for a fly press or drop hammer, which would produce individual studs.

However if you are gong on to castings, they would be simple enough to carve from wax, or square resin rod, which could then be duplicated, or burned out. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 22-10-2015 at 05:05 PM.

Thanks Dennis. I just replied but it disappeared...? I'm going to try my dubious wax carving skills.

Thanks! And hello Caroline

It's not been dumped in the pile for me to deal with, so it's not that.

If I needed to make a lot of wire - and it would have to be a hell of a lot - I'd consider having an extension roll made up with that profile. Can't imagine it'd be cheap though.

Quote Originally Posted by AJN View Post
    I just replied but it disappeared...?
    It happens to me from time to time, but it is just from absent mindedly leaving the page without pressing submit. Dennis.