Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello

Default Hello

Hi there! I'm in the early stages of learning to make metal clay jewellery and thought being part of the forum would help me learn from those more experienced than me! Looking forward to speaking with you!

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMarshall View Post
    Hi there! I'm in the early stages of learning to make metal clay jewellery and thought being part of the forum would help me learn from those more experienced than me! Looking forward to speaking with you!
    Hi and welcome. Metal clay isn't really my thing, but I'm tempted to have a go at making some and giving it a try. If that doesn't work, I might just have to buy some and try again! I seem to be attracted to the difficult path...

hi! welcome
    I'm also new at the forum world.
    I currently study silversmith and i am looking at other courses and techniques to broaden my knowledge and was wondering whats your take on metal clay? is it worth taking a certificate course in it? or a course at all?

thanks and good luck!

Elinor.

Hi metalsmith! It seems to have lots of uses and it's great for a newbie like me! I have lots of ideas just hitting a bit of a stumbling block with the stamps I'm trying to make! I'm determined to resolve it though and then I'll post my finished work. Thank you for the welcome!

Hi Elinor! I've been a bit stubborn and not taken a course, just self taught as there are so many good online tutorials, I'm just stuck with some stamps I'm trying to make. I've seen courses for around £250 but I'd imagine if you are already a silversmith you could teach yourself quite easily. It's certainly very creative. When I have some success I'll post some pics! Best of luck!

Hi metalsmith! It seems to have lots of uses and it's great for a newbie like me! I have lots of ideas just hitting a bit of a stumbling block with the stamps I'm trying to make! I'm determined to resolve it though and then I'll post my finished work. Thank you for the welcome!
    Yeah, I bought a book on the topic recently after seeing some great examples of work online somewhere

You could do worse than check out the different types of clay (link) recommendations for a kiln (link) if you don't have one and view some existing links where folk discuss their clay related difficulties...
    here
    here and
    here

I still couldn't find the like with the interesting examples on it so if you beat me to it, please bring it back to my attention - thanks

This wasn't the one I had in mind - but still some great examples

Preview of Creative Metal Clay Jewellery by Ce Ce Wire (surely pun intended!) discusses the basics to get you started for free
    Last edited by metalsmith; 21-10-2015 at 02:20 PM.

Hi Elinor! I've been a bit stubborn and not taken a course, just self taught as there are so many good online tutorials, I'm just stuck with some stamps I'm trying to make. I've seen courses for around £250 but I'd imagine if you are already a silversmith you could teach yourself quite easily. It's certainly very creative. When I have some success I'll post some pics! Best of luck!
    k thanks ill be so happy if you do post some of your works! wish you luck with that block

I experimented with metal clays a little a few years back - it doesn't really suit the way I want to work, but I'm full of admiration for some of the artists who do work with it - notably Gordon Uyehara. You can find lots of images of his stuff if you google his name, and his book "Metal Clay Fusion" is well worth checking out.
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by ajda View Post
    I experimented with metal clays a little a few years back - it doesn't really suit the way I want to work, but I'm full of admiration for some of the artists who do work with it - notably Gordon Uyehara. You can find lots of images of his stuff if you google his name, and his book "Metal Clay Fusion" is well worth checking out.
    Alan
    Thanks Alan - and leading on from that there are links to the work of a number of artists working in metal clay at http://www.metalclayguru.com which may be of interest.

I took a metal clay weekend course in Belgium with Anna Mázon earlier this year, though she also does courses in England sometimes. She has a few tutorials that can be purchased online through her etsy shop that are rather inexpensive. Take a look at her work when you have a chance - she also uses the business name Drakonaria. One thing I really admire about her is that she doesn't use moulds, pre-made texture mats, etc. Everything she does is by hand with very limited tools. Another idea she uses on some of her creations that I think is interesting is combining traditional metal work with Pmc.