Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flat stones/slices/slabs.

Default Flat stones/slices/slabs.

Hi,

I am looking for some specific gemstones, looking like flat cabochons (I know by definition that doesn't make sense) but polished and a little maybe beveled at the edge or even a tiny dome just at the very edge for setting. I am looking for something just a few mm thick ideally and various sizes, ideally square, but happy for rough shapes too. Something in various sizes but that will be around the 3cm sq size. Ideally turquoise, carnelian, lapis lazuli, (something a lovely bright pink but not too pricey) those kind of stones.

I've been looking all afternoon and haven't been able to come up with anything, the nearest I have found is slices of agate which is in other countries and looks more like glass than gemtones. Even that would have been worth a try if they had been able to be set and were the right sizes but were all huge. The only other thing I have managed to come up with came up as flat top cabochons but were only available in onyx.

Does anyone have any idea, I'd be really grateful.

Thank you,

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by Animalnutty View Post
    Hi,

I am looking for some specific gemstones, looking like flat cabochons ... ideally turquoise, carnelian, lapis lazuli, (something a lovely bright pink but not too pricey) those kind of stones.
    Since this is a Cookies based forum then you should acquaint yourself with their product line and see if you can find anything along the lines you desire there.

If not then you might search for 'cabochon' on ebay (then look in the Other Loose Gemstones or Loose Agates categories), there are plenty of sellers on ebay that stock this kind of thing. Beware reconstituted / synthetic turquoise and look out for dyed lapis. Carnelian may be un / heated. Just be aware of what you are buying.

These are generally rocks / gemstones (as opposed to individual gems). For a lovely bright pink, consider rhodochrosite / zoisite or pink-opal. There will be all grades on sale and you'll generally get what you pay for. Some other stones that might fit the bill could be larimar (pale blue, but be aware this may fade with time / bright sunlight), chrysoprase, jade & serpentine (if you are into greens), seraphinite, ocean jasper.

Some items from abroad will attract customs control / fees (and PostOffice 'handling' fees on top!)

I've recently been cutting chrysoprase and white poppy jasper, but these are generally smaller than your search description and not so bright colours.

Good luck with your search.

Thanks for the reply, I have literally been searching all day a lot of that on ebay - will try just searching under cabochon as was adding in other words, so I must be doing something wrong if there is plenty of it out there - the only ones I could find (very limited) were from abroad and am wary because of customs charges and returns if things aren't right etc.

Cookies was the first place I looked and definitely nothing there. I will keep trying, thanks.

You can find flat slabs of turquoise on Etsy if you type 'freeform turquoise' into the search and select craft supplies

There's at least 2 people on here doing that sort of lapidary work - myself and lilacmonkey (although my efforts are more focused on faceted stones at the moment).

I've no rough on hand that fits your reqs at the moment (not strictly true - afraid I have got some lapis but this particular batch is needed!), Stu might. I'll try and find his website...

...Found it:
    http://lilacmonkey-cabochons.weebly.com/index.html
    He's also on FB.
    Last edited by ps_bond; 20-10-2015 at 05:53 AM.

Thanks very much. I didn't even consider hand cut stones and my first thought on reading your reply was it would e prohibitively expensive, but on seeing the prices of the ones on that website and a few others that I have looked at it might just be possible and oh my goodness now I am going to waste so much time looking through beautiful stones and wanting to buy stones I cant really afford to buy. Thanks for the idea

It is also worth visiting Rock n Gem shows if there is one near you. They are a likely source and also have sellers willing to cut slabs.

here is the calender http://www.rockngem-magazine.co.uk/r...ow-events.html Dennis.

Thanks Dennis, I would absolutely love to go to shows but have chronic health issues that mean it's not really an option for me as mobility is an issue for me now and can't drive that far anyway. Plus this is something I would really like to get sorted quickly if possible. You never know though, maybe things will improve enough for me to get there one day, I would love to go and have a look, I did go to one many years ago and loooved it Thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Animalnutty View Post
    Thanks for the reply, I have literally been searching all day a lot of that on ebay - will try just searching under cabochon as was adding in other words, so I must be doing something wrong if there is plenty of it out there - the only ones I could find (very limited) were from abroad and am wary because of customs charges and returns if things aren't right etc.

Cookies was the first place I looked and definitely nothing there. I will keep trying, thanks.
    Generally I have found sellers to be good and no returns (with rocks) to date - a different matter with silver.

Be picky when buying and always review a sellers reputation. Know what the rocks you desire should look like. Then you will be more alert to things that don't look right.

Check for negatives in the seller's feedback and especially look out for reports that the item wasn't genuine. I will just avoid these sellers. I don't care if they do sell some real and some tat. If they don't distinguish they are not to be trusted. I did buy a lapis necklace in 'silver overlay', but it looked like rubbish and it was. I bought it as an experiment. It was cheap enough to give the kids for dressing up and enabled me to shoot the seller's reputation with a negative feedback. Laughably this was in the minority with around 100 negatives against 20,000 positives. Just what are people thinking?

http://gemrockauctions.com/ and http://gemselect.com would be other sites to look.

Use the terms 'rough' to look for samples with no processing or 'slab' to look for relatively thinly cut sections - sometimes rough & slab together.

It might be a bit daunting at first but DYOR and you'll soon get confident.

Julia (expat in Hong Kong) carries very good quality stones and her freeforms might be of interest. If you use the code 015D15 you get 15% off your order this month too. I've never had to wait more than a week for anything either. http://www.joopygems.com/categories/...ons-polki.html