Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Americans

Cool Americans

Does anyone know why when you watch American tutorials they call it Soddering!

Same reason they call herbs 'erbs.

Quote Originally Posted by vernon View Post
    Does anyone know why when you watch American tutorials they call it Soddering!
    Maybe because the tutorial is actually showing you how to bugger it up? (Apologies if mods need to strike out the bad language.)

I've been digging a bit on that one - it may be one of the words where the drift in pronunciation is on the UK side, supposedly to avoid the association - rather than the usual committee-defined rationalisation of the language.

If you google it there are some less than kind explanations so I won't repeat them! One person did say that although everyone round her said solder at school it's spelling is solder

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

I have noticed sometimes, there is also the term 'heigth' , which irks me rather a lot.

I hear the American pronunciation (don't know whether it's universal across N. America) as being more like "sardering" with a non-rhotic "r".
    Like others I was a bit surprised by it when I first met it. I've actually grown to like the easier pronunciation compared with ours, though I won't be emulating it.
    In many instances the Americans make much better tools than we can offer, so they can pronounce things how they like as far as I'm concerned.

I say soldering like "saadering" ... When I discovered that a friend of mine from Britain pronounces the L...I was surprised.

Rock Shelley
    www.rockshelley.com

But I presume you pronounce the 'll', in Shelley?

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    I have noticed sometimes, there is also the term 'heigth' , which irks me rather a lot.
    Heighth is not an accepted word in American English either, it's just people who don't know any better or maybe just the local lingo. Much like the area I live in Surrey where I hear people often pronounce their "th" as a "f". Instead of three it's pronounced as free for example, I find it very annoying!