Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Americans

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Which brings us back to the fact that both countries may be English speaking but there the similarity ends it's really just the word sold with an er on the end which if you live in certain parts of Scotland then becomes more of an errr!
    I think it's generally thought to be George Bernard Shaw who said: "The United States and Great Britain are two countries separated by a common language."

Quote Originally Posted by Aurarius View Post
    I think it's generally thought to be George Bernard Shaw who said: "The United States and Great Britain are two countries separated by a common language."
    That's the one Mark!

Quote Originally Posted by Aurarius View Post
    Weakening and consequent loss of post-vocalic "r" can probably be dated to before the 15th century. This sort of thing usually happens because the pronunciation is found to be quicker/easier. If the new pronunciation can claim some prestige as well (and non-rhotic varieties of Br. English rightly or wrongly have, or at least had, this prestige) then it is likely to gain acceptance all the more quickly.
    From the date, this may also possibly be due to the interaction between the English and French - not just the wars - the English sovereignty held lands in France and French was the language of the royals - together with their propensity to drop the final vowel, would endow the pronunciation with significant prestige (you'll notice that many Englishwords associated with elevated class are also French).

Apparently the food channels on TV have interesting American channels with foods we have never heard of!

Quote Originally Posted by vernon View Post
    Apparently the food channels on TV have interesting American channels with foods we have never heard of!

Yeah - I had to look up Corn-dogs the other day. Looks like MRM filth on a stick. No wonder ... enough said...

Quote Originally Posted by metalsmith View Post

Yeah - I had to look up Corn-dogs the other day. Looks like MRM filth on a stick. No wonder ... enough said...
    Aww corndogs aren't so bad - it's just a frankfurter covered in corn bread, on a stick It's the sort of thing you'd find at a festival next to the candy floss/cotton candy booth.
    The British too have many foods that Americans aren't familiar with. In fact I posted a picture of "Toad in the Hole" on facebook lately and had to explain to my American friends what it was. That does make sense about the English method of dropping the "r" sound due to the French influence - interesting. Both British and American English just evolved in different ways over the centuries for various reasons, I wouldn't say one is 'more' correct than the other, just different! Getting back to jewellery however, that's another difference. Jewelry vs. Jewellery!
    Last edited by Sandra; 20-10-2015 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra View Post
    Aww corndogs aren't so bad - it's just a frankfurter covered in corn bread, on a stick
    Presumably deep-fried? So the corn-bread ... doesn't it come out with more oil than the average middle east country. Show it to 'Bear' Grylls and he'd probably set fire to it and throw himself down a hole in the ground (except Yorkshire's beginner caves proved to frightening for him )!!

Death on a stick, it looks like.

Getting back to jewellery however, that's another difference. Jewelry vs. Jewellery![/QUOTE]

v Jouaillerie. Can I have another consonant please?

The ones you buy at a festival are most likely deep fried yes, in supermarkets you can find ones that are baked in an oven. Not that I seek out corndogs mind you LOL. Is it any worse than those batter covered deep-fried sausage rolls I see down at my local chippy? I think not!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra View Post
    The ones you buy at a festival are most likely deep fried yes, in supermarkets you can find ones that are baked in an oven. Not that I seek out corndogs mind you LOL. Is it any worse than those batter covered deep-fried sausage rolls I see down at my local chippy? I think not!
    I suspect that you see them, but neglect to ingest them?!

ugh corn dogs are NOT food.

I'm in Ontario, and we pronounce it: sodder. oh look, my auto correct is trying to spell it correctly!

now, POUTINE on the other hand....
    had to add...if you try to say it like a "Newfie" ( a person from Newfoundland) it would come out: saadrrrr and I can't even begin to write that phonetically!
    Last edited by more534; 26-10-2015 at 08:59 PM.