Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foredom Quick Change Handpiece Q

Question Foredom Quick Change Handpiece Q

Hi all, I'm looking into getting a quickchange handpiece for my foredome and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with multiple models?

There are four at the moment and I'm not quite sure which one will fit my needs best. Leaning towards the H18 since it doesn't require lubrication and is slim. I've only used the basic H30 one that ships with mine when I bought it. Feel like I waste a lot of time changing bits.

For those who have changed from the H30 to a slimmer model do you find you like that better?

Any reason not to go to a quickchange? (Besides the obvious drawback of only 3/32 shanks).

Heres a list as a refresher http://www.foredom.net/quickchange.aspx

Any input is appreciated.
    Emily
    - Emily

I use a push pull jobby which I really like.
    I also have used the lever quick release type, which I liked until I tried the push pull one.
    Keep the chuck one for odd sized shanks.
    A word of warning, I bought 25 screw top mandrels from China which were supposedly 2.35mm, but they weren't, they were a tad too big if I remember.
    Last edited by trialuser; 14-10-2015 at 06:47 PM.

Hi
    If you use predominantly 2.35 (3/32) shank bits, I don't think you'll regret going quick change.
    I bought a Foredom kit this year with both H30 and H20 handpieces (American standard key shaft)
    To date I haven't used the H30 but it's nice to know it's there for larger or smaller shanks.
    The H18 looks nice and slim with an easy to use release lever but it is slightly longer than the H30 and H20 which may make it slightly more unwieldy.
    The H20 is slightly wider than the H30 but tapers down to a nice size at the business end. For me the release lever is infinitely better than a chuck key but possibly not as easy to use as the H18.
    I guess you'll need to assess which one will suit your hand size and style of working best.
    Tim

Sorry to jump on your post but can I ask which foredoms you guys have as I am looking at getting one soon and I have no idea!

I have the Foredom SR.
    It can be a bit confusing as some have blue labels on them and some have red. If you are looking I don't think it matters much which colour, just make sure its the correct voltage 240V and not 110V.
    There are a number of kits around with various combinations of hand pieces so it pays to look on the Foredom Website http://www.foredom.net/flexshaftkitsandsets.aspx
    For me the most confusing issue at first was the understanding the difference between the European Slip joint connection and the American standard key shaft. Once you understand that there is a difference then it's a relatively straightforward process of working out what will work for you and what it will cost.
    I believe Foredom also do micro motors but there are plenty of others on the forum who can give you the pros and cons of both types.
    I've kept my old Dremel mainly for the drill stand but having had the Foredom for a few months now I don't know how I did without the flexibility of the foot control and quick change.

Hope this helps
    Tim

Just a quick update on my last post, the red label indicates the 230V (not 240 as posted) model but you will often see UK adverts showing the blue model for illustration purposes.
    T.

Thank you all for your input! Very helpful!

And I have nothing to add to what Tim had to say Unhindered, sorry!
    - Emily

Quote Originally Posted by trialuser View Post
    I use a push pull jobby which I really like.
    I also have used the lever quick release type, which I liked until I tried the push pull one.
    Keep the chuck one for odd sized shanks.
    A word of warning, I bought 25 screw top mandrels from China which were supposedly 2.35mm, but they weren't, they were a tad too big if I remember.
    What about the push-pull one do you find you like better - is it just quicker to change bits or is there something more?
    - Emily

Hi Emily,
    I use the H-20 handpiece, the one with the sideways-sliding lever, and really love it - I'd have a hard time adjusting to using the chuck-key type again. I have not used either of the other two quick change handpieces. I was thrilled to find uniform shank (3/32) drills at a US company (where I am). For me it's a huge time-saving tool.
    Best regards,
    Patricia

I don't think it's significantly quicker to change bits, it just feels nicer in the hand, I think it may be lighter as well.