Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hallmarks...required if item isn't "sold"?

Rural Somerset, between Yeovil and Shepton Mallet

I have no idea about the details of hallmarking legalities, I was just reiterating what Steve said in his post as the local expert on hallmarking.
    Barry the Flying Silversmith👍

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    Would they not have to be re-assayed if anything done to them?
    This is all I can find in the Edinburgh notes Wendy
    Making an alteration to a hallmarked article
    It is possible to make an alteration to a hallmarked article, subject to the following conditions:
    • Thealteredarticlemustbeofthesamecharacterandpurpos eastheoriginal (e.g. a spoon must not become a fork).
    • Theadditionmustbeofthesamestandardasthearticletowh ichitisbeingadded.
    • Theweightoftheadditionmustbenoheavierthan0.5gramsi nplatinum, 1 gram in gold, 1 gram in palladium, and 7.78 grams in silver.
    • Theadditionmustnotbegreaterthan50%ofthearticle’sto talweight.
    • Anyotheralterationsmustbere-submittedtoanAssayOffice.

I see Edinburgh also has a Heathrow office to take in bulk orders from overseas, hallmark them in the uk and then post them off elsewhere as James has mentioned

Quote Originally Posted by BarryM View Post
    I have no idea about the details of hallmarking legalities, I was just reiterating what Steve said in his post as the local expert on hallmarking.
    Right, I thought you said in an earlier post that it was illegal. I know of people who do this. Not entirely sure how anyone would know anyway.
    Last edited by DaisyDaisy; 18-10-2015 at 05:55 PM.

Surely if Cooksons or anyone else is selling eg a ring shank or a chain as silver or gold it needs to be hallmarked unless below weight because it's a finished (apart from the stone or stones, maybe?) item.

Hi Caroline
    If you sell a plain ring shank as is, no probs, but if you add- eg -a bezel and a stone you are clearly altering it. The exemption is for sizing and stuff like that.

Oh London Assay Office...you CHUMPS
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Rural Somerset, between Yeovil and Shepton Mallet

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyDaisy View Post
    Right, I thought you said in an earlier post that it was illegal. I know of people who do this. Not entirely sure how anyone would know anyway.
    I suggest you re-read what I actually said in post #4.
    Barry the Flying Silversmith👍

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyDaisy View Post
    Not entirely sure how anyone would know anyway.
    Could be applied to so many other laws but breaking it is breaking it whether anyone 'knows' or not, - as one might discover if one was found out.

Just FYI..... the maker's mark is also referred to as the sponsor's mark as it can indicate either who made the piece, or who commissioned the piece. As previously mentioned, most jewellery is made overseas and then marked in the UK. In the case of someone already registered with an assay offices taking a commission from a retailer who is also registered, the retailer can have his sponsor mark applied despite the fact he hasn't actually made the piece. The manufacturer would send in the item for assay, and have the retailer's sponsor mark applied instead of his own. (The retailer needs to give their authorisation to do so first of course!) Actually, if you like, more than one sponsor mark can be applied! This is sometimes done on a big commission where multiple manufacturers are involved!

Regarding the initial question of the silver trophy being given as a prize - the law does state that it's during the course of a trade or business. If you are charging for the commission and you wish to call it silver you will need to have it marked. If you're doing it for free and gifting it, then it doesn't matter, as their is neither a trade, nor business transaction committed. It's a bit like making stuff for family and friends for presents.....there is no need to in those cases.

(Sorry....busy job hunting....but old habits die hard!!)

You can see how we have got ourselves into a twist already Steve. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 19-10-2015 at 10:31 AM.

hahahaha...maybe start a petition?