Thread: Gold plating and hallmarking

Default Gold plating and hallmarking

Hi,

Sorry you have probably had this question 1000 times before but my wifi is down and so I am typing this on my phone and can't get the forum search to work very well!

I am making a necklace for my friends 50th. It is a large pendant 2inch X 2inch hand pierced flower design with a bezel set turquoise in the middle that she wants in a gold colour so as I can't stretch to doing the piece in gold I am making in silver and want to get it played in gold.

As it is a gift I want to get the piece hallmarked but am not sure if the best order to do the plating and the hallmarking? I think I read on here a while back that a piece can be plated after hallmarking if the plating is no more than 2 microns thick? Therefore can I get the piece hallmarked 3D deep laser marked and then played afterwards?? Is anyone able to confirm as I don't want Steve hunting me down if I get it wrong!!! 😊

Also am I best plating the piece and then setting the stone (it is a 9ct gold bezel - not silver) or am I best getting it plated and then setting stone? Can you tell I have never had anything played before lol!!

Thanks in advance for all of your help!!

Karen

If I was making this job, I would make the metalwork and partially polish it. Then get it hallmarked, then set the stone in a setting with an open back, then do the final polishing, and finally get the job gold plated. The open back setting is so that the plater does not leave any plating solution behind the stone.

James

100% agree with James. Plating is the very last thing i always do after engraving / hallmarking, etc.
    Just make sure you get rid of every tiny little mark & scratch - Once it's plated, you're stuck with them

Thank you so much James and Lucie for your replies!! so helpful to make sure I am doing things in the right order!! Will post pics once I am finished!! 😊

Have a wonderful weekend!