Thread: Messy Soldering!! Gahhh!

Default Messy Soldering!! Gahhh!

I have (up until now) managed to get a pretty clean solder line enabling me to tidy up a piece no probs, but all of a sudden my soldering is going all pear shaped!! I am getting a flow of solder over the shoulder of a join and it's driving me crazy! I have asked questions and googled advice and was told that the flux may be dirty etc, so cleaned everything up and it's still happening! Please can somebody help? I have to go out now, so if I don't reply until later... I'm not ignoring you!

Thank you so much!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5895.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	8238

It's actually quite normal for the solder to spread if:

1. You have fluxed an extended area.
    2. You have used more solder than strictly needed.
    2. If you go on heating after the solder has already flowed enough.

However in you picture, it looks as if you used a lot of heat directly on the joint to get the solder to flow, causing pitting. This can be avoided by using a larger torch and directing the heat to an area well away from the joint, until the whole piece reaches soldering temperate and then homing in.

You will need to move the flame around to avoid overheating one area and work in semi darkness, so that you can see where your flame is going. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 13-10-2015 at 03:30 PM.

I have also been told to check that the join is neat, not use too much heat etc... which i always do, can anybody help please?

Thank you Dennis, that is great advice... I will pop the pallion inside next time and use hard solder. Thank you so much!