Thread: How to keep oxidised silver looking good

Default How to keep oxidised silver looking good

Hi there. Anyone give me some advice about how to keep heavily oxidised (almost black) jewellery made from sterling silver from wearing back down to silver? I've tried Renaissance wax but still I find pieces, particularly rings and bangles don't stay nicely oxidised for long. Thanks in anticipation

Don't wear it. Paint it black. Plate it with black rhodium. Varnish it. Accept that it'll need re-oxidising periodically.

It's a fairly thin layer so by definition it'll wear through quickly. I don't think there's any patina that'll handle a lot of abuse off the top of my head.

The idea of patinating silver jewellery which is subject to wear, is to allow the high spots to wear through, giving an antique look.

Renaissance wax is a total waste of money for jewellery applications. The best you can hope for is that it will give a wet look to newly patinated surfaces, if they start off dull. This can be achieved just as well with any cheap wax polish, even the kind you spray on furniture.

If you want black, as Peter has already said, you can have it plated, or go for black titanium in the first place: http://www.geti.co/. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Renaissance wax is a total waste of money for jewellery applications.
    I do use it to protect the patina on my bowls, but they are not subject to much handling.

Quote Originally Posted by betsy View Post
    Hi there. Anyone give me some advice about how to keep heavily oxidised (almost black) jewellery made from sterling silver from wearing back down to silver? I've tried Renaissance wax but still I find pieces, particularly rings and bangles don't stay nicely oxidised for long. Thanks in anticipation
    Some people use http://everbritecoatings.co.uk/prote...ating-19-c.asp or Kernowcraft has something called Midas Finish Seal Laquer which looks to be similar in properties.

I know it's personal taste, but for me patina like LOS is meant for the grooves and dips of a piece to emphasize texture. Those places are least likely to get any wear. If you are want it on surfaces than I'm afraid nothing will stay dark forever.

I wouldn't advise the lacquer on rings or anything that'll take a drubbing - it wears like nail polish. Not cool.
    I did have a lovely lady leave me a note regarding my rings in a gallery recently, advising me to give them a clean. (They were all oxidised). Someone had bought one and she'd spent a long time trying to clean it up with a polishing cloth...
    I love how oxidised pieces wear.

There is no way.
    Patina will wear off in high areas, renaissance wax will wear off, lacquer will wear off and plating in some time too.
    I try to design my pieces with this on mind, so they are polished in high areas and black in lower.

Regarding the renaissance wax, I love it. It gives oxidized pieces much better contrast and depth. I use it for most of my (oxidized) work. Maybe it won't last, but I consider it similar to a mirror or shiny finish just something for better wow effect.

I tend to patinate in recessed areas only and use renaissance wax to protect/those areas a little, it tends to deepen the contrast too.......otherwise, enamel or black rhodium.