Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hand Crafted or Hand Made?

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald View Post
    [QUOTE

There was a thread about this a while ago with more discussion, which I've linked below.

Goldsmith, Silversmith, Jeweller. What are YOU??? - Cooksongold Jewellery Making Supplies Forum | Jewellery Making Forums | Craft Forums

Having said that, my preferred name of the two you mention is hand-crafted. I feel it says you don't make the beads themselves, but craft them into something beautiful, whereas hand-made says to me that you've actually made the components and turned them into some beautiful jewellery.

I like the way you think Jules, nicely thought out and thanks for that link very interesting to read and as you say very similar. As i make beaded jewellery with cheaper components aswell as metalwork with precious metal its finding the right combination to fit both.
    Hi Emerald,
    Thanks for your compliments. (I had meant to thank you before, but then lost the thread and have now found it again). BTW I love your bracelets, beautiful beads and unusual colours.

The reason I prefer hand-crafted was not only because I like the phrase used but also because I'd read the definition contained in some blurb from Trading Standards about selling jewellery - believe me there was a LOT of stuff mentioned! That was also where I read about hallmarking sterling over certain weights.

Lotsaluv
    Jules x

I use 'hand crafted with care' in my tag line, largely because I have one aunt and my MIL who always refer to my work as 'home made' which in both cases I think is intended to belittle. I think my work is neat and thorough, so like to include that suggestion. But my work has also evolved, so maybe this needs a rethink.

I have contemplated "by rack of th'eye and twist of't gob" - because it sort of describes my methodology and place in the world.

Like 'sweat and swearing' too.

Quote Originally Posted by Boo View Post
    I use 'hand crafted with care' in my tag line, largely because I have one aunt and my MIL who always refer to my work as 'home made' which in both cases I think is intended to belittle. I think my work is neat and thorough, so like to include that suggestion. But my work has also evolved, so maybe this needs a rethink.

I have contemplated "by rack of th'eye and twist of't gob" - because it sort of describes my methodology and place in the world.

Like 'sweat and swearing' too.
    Maybe mine should say from the cauldron of old mother sandland
    Di x

I was just reading the other referenced thread about definitions - interesting that the true definitions would probably be perceived differently by most people.

I am nowhere near far enough along to be called a goldsmith or silversmith and 'jeweller' to me always suggests setting gemstones, high end work etc. I think I'd be flattered if someone just called me a metalsmith.

Quote Originally Posted by Boo View Post

I am nowhere near far enough along to be called a goldsmith or silversmith and 'jeweller' to me always suggests setting gemstones, high end work etc. I think I'd be flattered if someone just called me a metalsmith.
    If anyone asks what i do i say i am a jeweller beacause thats what i trained to be, i can and used to set stones but not at the mo as i like working with the Lampwork, jewellers come in many shapes and forms. My cards used to say contemporary or design jeweller but i am not sure about these anymore either.

Default Handmade v handcrafted

It really depends how it is applied - either term can be imply a negative image - very twee etc. Hopefully your work doesn't look like a knitted loo roll cover....