Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Makers mark.

Default Makers mark.

My wife enjoys making PMC pieces and i am keen to support her and as a gift i want to get and register a mark for her. I am looking to get one made by the assay office in London. Is this the correct route to register a unique mark? Its going to cost about £180 and thats ok but i dont want to find out after purchasing one that its not as unique as i thought.
    thanks
    rob

Hi Rob,
    The easiest way to mark PMC is to press a stamp into the clay while still soft, that is before firing. So any small stamp would do.

Many of us don't apply our own makers mark, which is unique at your chosen assay office, but have them apply it when hallmarking an item. If small it would probably not work well in soft clay, so that raises the question of how big to have it.

A good size for stamping hard metal, together with the hallmark, would be between 1.5 and 2.0mm high, depending on your eyesight. Once registered, the assay office can also use a laser mark, which is more suitable if an item is fragile, or difficult to stamp. Dennis

Each sponsor mark is unique. No-one else can have wmg in a cartouche -ish oval ever because that is me.
    Hence 'making your mark'
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Hi Rob,
    The easiest way to mark PMC is to press a stamp into the clay while still soft, that is before firing. So any small stamp would do.

Many of us don't apply our own makers mark, which is unique at your chosen assay office, but have them apply it when hallmarking an item. If small it would probably not work well in soft clay, so that raises the question of how big to have it.

A good size for stamping hard metal, together with the hallmark, would be between 1.5 and 2.0mm high, depending on your eyesight. Once registered, the assay office can also use a laser mark, which is more suitable if an item is fragile, or difficult to stamp. Dennis
    For general jewellery items we would recommend no bigger that a 0.75mm high swan neck punch, with the option to laser different sizes. We would recommend laser marking PMC and please try to leave us a smooth area on your piece for us to apply the mark. (Laser marking and struck marking cost the same btw!)

Thank you for your replies. Further to that, is the assay office in london the best place to get and register a makers mark or are there others?

There are others. Which one you chose depends on where you are in the country or where you feel most allied to (I live in the north but am a Londoner by birth so it was London for me)
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    Each sponsor mark is unique. No-one else can have wmg in a cartouche -ish oval ever because that is me.
    Hence 'making your mark'
    I thought that was from blacksmithing? Same type of thing, obviously.

Always happy to have you at London Rob!

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    I thought that was from blacksmithing? Same type of thing, obviously.

Make your mark originates with archery - the longest shot stakes the mark at which the enemy will become vulnerable.

In answer to your question Rob, you can also register at Birmingham, Sheffield or Edinburgh.