Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: Makers mark.

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    502

    Default

    As with all the assay offices, different metals need to go on different hallnotes, and therefore will be each charged minimum charges and all offices charge on the number of hallnotes as well as their contents. There is really no way round that I'm afraid. Of course, as previously mentioned, you can put both hallnotes in the one package when you send it in, so only incurring one postage charge.

    Our all-in charge for one or two items is 12.00, one of the most competitive fees of all the offices.


    Quote Originally Posted by BarryM View Post
    I recently sent off a packet to London that had 12 silver items and 1 gold item - hence two hall notes. I was a bit disappointed to be charged the 1-2 item charge for the gold even though it was part of a package of 13 items in total. The gold ring cost nearly 15 to be assayed and hallmarked (over 10% of the cost of the item)

    It is not really surprising that at these rates hobby jewellers like myself who make few items and (in my case) never build up enough items in gold to make a sensible package, avoid making in anything but silver.

    Does Steve have any suggestions to reduce the unit cost in this scenario??

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    502

    Default

    And thank you everyone for all your lovely comments about us! I will pass these on to all the staff concerned who really appreciate hearing them!
    Happy Monday for lots of people at LAO!

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Rural Somerset, between Yeovil and Shepton Mallet
    Posts
    201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveLAO View Post
    As with all the assay offices, different metals need to go on different hallnotes, and therefore will be each charged minimum charges and all offices charge on the number of hallnotes as well as their contents. There is really no way round that I'm afraid.
    You are just restating the pricing policy, not the reason WHY this policy is used. I am happy to pay charges that are reasonable and based on a fair pricing policy and an explanation why each metal is charged independently would be interesting. I am sure that there is a logical reason. That your competitors use the same method is really not a reason to do it.

    Our all-in charge for one or two items is 12.00, one of the most competitive fees of all the offices.
    Well I am not VAT registered so I pay 14.40 not 12.00.
    Barry the Flying Silversmith👍

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    502

    Default

    The policy is used as there are different methods for testing different metals, and in order to speed the process, reduce mistakes and make the whole process more efficient, different metals are separated out and kept apart so that if necessary they can be sent to different areas and departments for testing without unnecessary delay. It's also helpful for the markers to keep the punches separate too, so that punches may not get mixed up, as could easily happen. This is the reason why all assay offices work in this way, and have always done so.

    Regrettably you will need to take up the VAT issue with HMRC, as we have no control over that. In the same way as many businesses operate, all are prices are quoted ex VAT.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    996

    Default

    These days most businesses quote final price, vat inclusive. Quoting exVAT makes you look a bit like a perma-sale sofa warehouse...trying to pretend that 999 isn't 1k. Most people reckon that, in the real world, businesses that do that, these days think their customers can't work it out or are a bit stooopid. It's like slapping on the shipping at the last moment. Really annoys.
    Especially when there is a restricted market.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Romsey
    Posts
    5,003

    Default

    Even for business-to-business transactions, where you'd expect the purchaser to be VAT registered?

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Rural Somerset, between Yeovil and Shepton Mallet
    Posts
    201

    Default Makers mark.

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveLAO View Post
    The policy is used as there are different methods for testing different metals, and in order to speed the process, reduce mistakes and make the whole process more efficient, different metals are separated out and kept apart so that if necessary they can be sent to different areas and departments for testing without unnecessary delay. It's also helpful for the markers to keep the punches separate too, so that punches may not get mixed up, as could easily happen. This is the reason why all assay offices work in this way, and have always done so.

    Regrettably you will need to take up the VAT issue with HMRC, as we have no control over that. In the same way as many businesses operate, all are prices are quoted ex VAT.
    Steve,

    OK that is a reasonable explanation which I accept - in effect the different metals go down different processing paths.

    I understand the VAT issue - but to say that it COSTS 12 is inaccurate - you CHARGE 12 - everybody pays 14.40 and some of those can reclaim the VAT but we ALL still have to remit 14.40 to the Assay office. (Sorry to be pedantic but this is a bit of a bug bear with me - not just the Assay Office who say things "cost" the VAT exclusive charge, it doesn't it "costs" the VAT inclusive charge)
    Barry the Flying Silversmith👍

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Romsey
    Posts
    5,003

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BarryM View Post
    I understand the VAT issue - but to say that it COSTS 12 is inaccurate - you CHARGE 12 - everybody pays 14.40 and some of those can reclaim the VAT but we ALL still have to remit 14.40 to the Assay office.
    We are all unpaid tax collectors...

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    502

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    These days most businesses quote final price, vat inclusive. Quoting exVAT makes you look a bit like a perma-sale sofa warehouse...trying to pretend that 999 isn't 1k. Most people reckon that, in the real world, businesses that do that, these days think their customers can't work it out or are a bit stooopid. It's like slapping on the shipping at the last moment. Really annoys.
    Especially when there is a restricted market.
    Many businesses do, it's true, but a great many businesses, particularly the larger ones, do not. It's not so much the sofa warehouse mentality more harking back to the times when VAT changed more regularly than it does today, and if you were quoting vat inclusive you then had to keep reprinting your price lists! It was easier to quote the net price and then to say "plus VAT" so that your price lists were always accurate!

    Then there are the companies who export regularly and always quote VAT exclusive!

    Of course, as ps bond mentions, its also very helpful for B2B transactions, where they reclaim the VAT back and so work on net prices only. The majority of our clients are VAT registered, and though I appreciate a lot of you are not those who are not do have to add the 20%

    Barry M if you do want to be pedantic, yes we charge 12 and HMRC charges the rest. You could also argue that our cost is 12 and HMRC cost is the rest!

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    669

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveLAO View Post
    harking back to the times when VAT changed more regularly than it does today, and if you were quoting vat inclusive you then had to keep reprinting your price lists! It was easier to quote the net price and then to say "plus VAT" so that your price lists were always accurate!
    Presumably prior to the rise in popularity of 'the machines', which should now make it easy - nay automatic - to update a pricelist i.e. on a (gaaasp) web-page?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •