Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Makers mark.

As George has said, you have 4 options........I can highly recommend Birmingham Rob

I still (and I know Steve will want to box my ears for this), think you can't go wrong with the London Thundercat. Ok, Leopard mark.

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    There are others. Which one you chose depends on where you are in the country or where you feel most allied to (I live in the north but am a Londoner by birth so it was London for me)
    Same here although I live in the SW now.
    Also the people at the LAO are nice to deal with.
    Must be a London thing.

Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    Same here although I live in the SW now.
    Also the people at the LAO are nice to deal with.
    Must be a London thing.
    I am the same, mine is at the London one too. Very, very nice people.

Rural Somerset, between Yeovil and Shepton Mallet

I recently sent off a packet to London that had 12 silver items and 1 gold item - hence two hall notes. I was a bit disappointed to be charged the 1-2 item charge for the gold even though it was part of a package of 13 items in total. The gold ring cost nearly £15 to be assayed and hallmarked (over 10% of the cost of the item)

It is not really surprising that at these rates hobby jewellers like myself who make few items and (in my case) never build up enough items in gold to make a sensible package, avoid making in anything but silver.

Does Steve have any suggestions to reduce the unit cost in this scenario??
    Barry the Flying Silversmith👍

I know what you're saying - and it's somewhat irksome, but a packet seems to be defined as a per-hallnote thing. It'd be great to play mix & match with the hallnotes, but each is then subject to the same level of handling and therefore time costs. The only saving grace is that you've been able to combine postage (not sure about the logistics/handling charges?).

However... (You probably know what's coming): The price you're charging for the ring, assuming you're selling it, should factor in the cost of hallmarking. I've got a commission in the offing for a pair of 9k cufflinks - an alloy I don't really use - so the full cost of having a small packet hallmarked has to be added into the quote for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabby66 View Post
    As George has said, you have 4 options........I can highly recommend Birmingham Rob
    I also highly recommend Birmingham. I've met my hallmarkers and they are lovely. I've rung them with queries over the years and they have been more than helpful.
    Jules

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

I was with Birmingham, had problems with every single packet! Had much of my work ruined. The stamps, when I got mine back were in such bad shape that it was difficult to recognise them. I am from that neck of the woods originally, so felt it was nice to have that link. I couldn't have been more wrong. The final straw came when I was trying to sort out a recycled fork bangle - long story cut short, was messed about so much it made sense to part ways.

I am with London now and couldn't be happier. Fantastic service, even when things don't always go to plan - the resolution is outstanding, along with customer support. London every time for me now.

I can't complain about Edinburgh. They are always there to help, answer my stupid questions and if they aren't sure they phone me to make it completely clear

Rural Somerset, between Yeovil and Shepton Mallet

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    However... (You probably know what's coming): The price you're charging for the ring, assuming you're selling it, should factor in the cost of hallmarking. I've got a commission in the offing for a pair of 9k cufflinks - an alloy I don't really use - so the full cost of having a small packet hallmarked has to be added into the quote for them.
    In this case it is a gift for SWMBO, but at least I now know and if I am making to sell will, as you suggest, add it into the sale price. It is just a bit irritating.
    Barry the Flying Silversmith👍