Thread: Advice on method to make this ring

Default Advice on method to make this ring

Morning! I had a bit of a play with silver yesterday and I can quite get it to look how I want it to, so I started to carve from wax but ideally I would like to hand make this!

Any tips or ideas would be much appreciated! I split the shank to manually twist but it didn't look right, my next thought was to make the pieces individually and solder together but I'm unsure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't not can!!

It will be difficult to split the shank so that it ends up even and professional looking. But if you use two wires, say square with the edges rounded, and initially only solder at the rear centre, you will have more success.
    Once the twists are done and the mount added, the solder can be extended. Dennis.

thanks Dennis! I will try that tomorrow

You might try to start of with a wide plain shank in metal then with a scribe mark out where your curves would be, mark your stone placements, then carve away the excess metal do this slowly and be patient. Try with a silver shank and see how it goes it will take a while but if you mark evenly and carve carefully it will work great. Also make sure to leave a bit extra height where the stones are to be set not a lot. And make sure it is as wide as the stones plus a .1-.2mm max. You can cut in wax and cast but if you have time and enjoy the work hand made will be better structure and skill. The setting is easy with the right tools and is best when done under a microscope but can be accomplished with ball burs and round and straight flat gravers. Bright polish the gravers to a mirror finish and your cuts will be the same.

Thank you I'm going to give both ways a try today!