Thread: The wisdom of Dennis (and others)

Default The wisdom of Dennis (and others)

I was doing a bezel setting yesterday for a glass cabochon and quite forgot Dennis' advice to lay a piece of dental floss under it when checking the fit... until the the moment the cab snapped satisfyingly into place. I had to mangle the setting somewhat to remove it again - it can be rescued, but I learned a useful lesson, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to thank him and others for sharing their knowledge and experience here...
    Alan

Yes, I used Dennis' tip the other day, but with an irregular cab, laid 2 at 90 degrees under the cab. One slipped out and the other was just able to lift a corner after a bit of a battle to keep it underneath, so echoing ajda's thanks.

Well, it is a bit embarrassing to be singled out, but the truth is that all the members vie with each other to share their experiences. Our reward is when our advice actually works, so we are all pleased to have both positive and negative feed back.

One other option, before you drill a hole into the bottom of your setting, is to extract the stone with powerful adhesive tape, such as No More Nails tape, or the kind for hanging pictures.

You need to wait a minute or so for the adhesive to take hold. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 05-10-2015 at 10:03 AM.

Yes, another one here very grateful to all of those more experienced who kindly share your knowledge and offer help and advice when needed.
    You are all much appreciated thank you!

true enough - everyone has always been very generous with advice on here, no matter how daft I feel the question