Thread: Piercing Saw

Default Piercing Saw

Hello,

I am love love loving learning this wonderful trade. However, I have recently gone through piercing saw blades at a rate of knots!!!

I'm just wondering which blades are the most robust ? I currently use " Vallorbe Glardon Saw Blades Grade 3/0 and 4/0 " , I've never tried any other brands, this is because my tutor buys all the equipment and I am hoping to one day take over his mantel using the same equipment that he uses...And stay faithful to his techniques, yes his work impresses me that much.

My tutor would be ok if I did bring in any new equipment to try, he's very open minded, but of all the "New" options that I have brought into the workshop, one by one I've found his choices come out better overall.

He's been in the game for around 50 years, so he really has been there, done that...Any ideas ?

Many thanks

The question is: why am I breaking saw blades?

Blades break if:

1.The tension of the frame is too little or too much. Experience tells you the right kind of sound to expect if you pluck the saw blade: a ping, but not too high a note, not a twang.
    2. The blade is too thin for the metal in hand.
    3. You are pressing too hard, due to inexperience, or because you loose your light touch as you get tired.
    4. You are twisting the blade, or allowing the workpiece to move while sawing. Sudden moves are particular culprits.
    5. The brand of blades is particularly fragile.

Most members have their own favourite, but Vallorbe is near the top of the list. If you are having a bad day, try very briefly flaming the blade with a minitorch while in the frame. it will blunten more quickly, but resist breakage.

Now watch out for the horrified replies to this heresy. Dennis.

I'm sure Dennis' advice is sound - I'm not horrified... happy to torch anything, though I haven't tried that with saw blades yet - but have you asked your tutor? It may be easier to have something demonstrated physically rather than just described on here.
    Alan

http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/sho...ghlight=stacey

I hope that link takes you to my recent thread about Vallorbe blades; within it you'll find reference to an earlier thread on the same topic. It may not be you, it may be the blades. I think that there may be some manufacturing issues and if you are unlucky you get bad batches of blades. I literally had one break whilst I looked at it before I could even get both ends in the saw frame ... but then I was quite cross at the time!

Thank you both for replying :-) I'll try the blade warming trick, it sounds worth a try. All the reasons above that you've mentioned sound pretty much like a list of things I do every day !! lol My tutor has told me the same as you've said about it just coming down to practise, I am just a bit concious of pinging blade after blade. The other day, I pinged 6 blades on one ring, hence the ring became the " 6 bladed circle " ring lol, as I said , my tutor doesn't mind but I just wanted to see if there was a more robust blade that I could use to cut through initial cast rods, as the rest of the cutting usually goes well...Its just the initial cuts that is my sticking point. Thank you again

If your tutor is aware of this then he must have suggested reasons for the breakage, probably technique if it's in the initial cut, rather than the blade. Unless the blade isn't heavy enough for cutting through castings of course I think you should just listen to your tutor

No one has yet addressed the elephant in the room, which is the contentious issue of the frame. Some people believe that their performance has improved by investing in an more expensive saw frame and that they are breaking fewer blades.

My own position is that if you are just using your saw to part metal, then the type of frame is unimportant, provided its throat is deep enough for your needs. If however you are spending long periods on detailed piercing, then you might well benefit from a more fancy frame, if only to relieve stress. Dennis.

I would say that if your teacher is not having the same problems than it comes down to technique?

My own difficulties with piercing continue, but I have noted that frequently, shortly before a breakage, the blade will briefly snag, sometimes covertly and increasingly overtly. I am now starting to take a message at this point to lubricate the blade, even midway through a cut. I won't say this has solved my problems entirely, but reduced them perhaps.

Best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by metalsmith View Post
    My own difficulties with piercing continue, but I have noted that frequently, shortly before a breakage, the blade will briefly snag, sometimes covertly and increasingly overtly. I am now starting to take a message at this point to lubricate the blade, even midway through a cut. I won't say this has solved my problems entirely, but reduced them perhaps.

Best of luck
    You are right metalsmith (sorry, I don't know your name). I always lubricate is the saw starts to catch - its telling you something!

I'd say Skieferins that your blade problems are due to lack of experience, plus learning a technique that works for you. When I first started sawing I hated it with a vengence, then after a few more months of practice, I love it! I get my calming music on and just love sawing things.
    Jules