Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Themed Competition October 2015 - Halloween

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra View Post
    I would like to submit my pendant for this month's Halloween competition. It is a raven sitting on gnarly old branches under the full moon which I created just for the competition. I realised that most of the time I enter the monthly competition I've been trying out new techniques each time in hopes of doing something fantastic and exciting, but with that comes a huge learning curve and it never quite works out the way I'd hoped! I decided this month I'd stick to techniques I've already done before and concentrate on the actual design itself. But even with that plan I ended up learning a few new things anyway...! I think a person can make amazing things even with just knowing simple techniques so I am going to continue practicing them.
    I experimented a bit with the raven, first etching detail on one, then engraving another, even creating one in silver clay, but in the end I decided just a simple sillhouette worked best for the design. The moon was done with keum boo using 24ct gold foil. The pendant is approx 2.5cm x 2.5 cm and made of sterling silver sheet.

(I'd like to add, I have broken in my new Sievert torch with this pendant as well as a tumbler and I almost feel like a new woman! It's amazing what a difference having the proper tools makes!)

I'm still pretty rubbish at taking pictures of jewellery but here it is:
    Attachment 8240Attachment 8242Attachment 8241

Photos look really good to me 😀 what kind of set up do you use? Any special, lights, tents etc also are you using your camera phone or a dslr, I recently bought a macro lens for my dslr but still find I get better shots with my Iphone😁. Guess I need a bit more practice, apparently it's all about the lighting. Great looking pendant and I'd be proud of those shots, very atmospheric 😈🎃

Quote Originally Posted by mikethejeweller View Post
    Photos look really good to me �� what kind of set up do you use? Any special, lights, tents etc also are you using your camera phone or a dslr, I recently bought a macro lens for my dslr but still find I get better shots with my Iphone��. Guess I need a bit more practice, apparently it's all about the lighting. Great looking pendant and I'd be proud of those shots, very atmospheric ����
    Thank you much Mike, I'm flattered (and surprised) with your comments on my photography - I don't have any special equipment. Actually I walked around my house and tried a few pictures in various lighting to see what looked best, ended up the light coming from the window in the lounge on top of a black sofa pillow did the trick! I just used the camera on my inexpensive mobile phone.

Your entry is of course amazing and many levels above and beyond my current abilities! I'm sure your customer will be thrilled with it, I certainly would.

A stunning piece of work, your owl pendant, mikethejeweller - and great to see both the Harry Potter inspiration picture and the work in progress shots. I'm so glad the door opens as I hate to see birds locked up in cages, even inanimate ones!
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra View Post
    Thank you much Mike, I'm flattered (and surprised) with your comments on my photography - I don't have any special equipment. Actually I walked around my house and tried a few pictures in various lighting to see what looked best, ended up the light coming from the window in the lounge on top of a black sofa pillow did the trick! I just used the camera on my inexpensive mobile phone.

Your entry is of course amazing and many levels above and beyond my current abilities! I'm sure your customer will be thrilled with it, I certainly would.
    Think your selling yourself a bit short, I'd be over the moon with that piece, there's some techniques there that I would love to master, what do you use for the oxidation? That's one I struggle with to get a nice dark finish, would also love to try Mokugame one day. They say that good natural light is they key to good photographs.

Photos look really good to me 😀 what kind of set up do you use? Any special, lights, tents etc also are you using your camera phone or a dslr, I recently bought a macro lens for my dslr but still find I get better shots with my Iphone😁. Guess I need a bit more practice, apparently it's all about the lighting. Great looking pendant and I'd be proud of those shots, very atmospheric 😈🎃
    There is an excellent tutorial on lynda.com that I watched yesterday about shooting jewellery, and I picked up some great tips (including home made light box) from it - everything just clicked into place for me! Interestingly enough, he didn't use a macro lens in the demo.

Quote Originally Posted by jayneharrison View Post
    There is an excellent tutorial on lynda.com that I watched yesterday about shooting jewellery, and I picked up some great tips (including home made light box) from it - everything just clicked into place for me! Interestingly enough, he didn't use a macro lens in the demo.
    Cheers great I'll take a look, just spent £200 on macro lens last week though ��

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenNorth View Post
    At times, it felt like I got a far longer sentence than the bloke who did the uninsured hit and run.
    I came to jewellery from a similar, but different, background. You remind me that I 'got off light'. It can be hard-going at times, but your results show just what can be achieved.

Client ... wanted an Owl pendant ... went through a few ideas together and ... ended up with this: the hidden Diamond underneath... fancy cut out base ...small flower charm, heart key and an opening door. Let's just hope she likes it ��Attachment 8261Attachment 8262Attachment 8263Attachment 8264Attachment 8265T
    That's amazing!

Let me know if she doesn't and 'we'll send round "the lads"'.

[QUOTE=metalsmith;83070]That's amazing!

Let me know if she doesn't and 'we'll send round "the lads"'.[/QUOTE
    Thanks Metalsmith, I'm sure she will if not my wife has called first dibs lol

Quote Originally Posted by metalsmith View Post
    That's amazing!

Let me know if she doesn't and 'we'll send round "the lads"'.
    Think your selling yourself a bit short, I'd be over the moon with that piece, there's some techniques there that I would love to master, what do you use for the oxidation? That's one I struggle with to get a nice dark finish, would also love to try Mokugame one day. They say that good natural light is they key to good photographs.
    I ment Keum-boo not Mokugame sorry, wouldn't mind trying both saying that. So many techniques I see on these Cookson design competitions that I would love to try and then incorporate into my work it's just trying to find the time to try and experiment with them �� another technique I'd like to try is enamelling.