Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Themed Competition October 2015 - Halloween

Wooo.....Sandra......stunning piece.....rather liking that!!

(also glad to hear you have broken in not broken your sievert and tumbler!!)

Really nice piece, Sandra... well done!

Lovely entries! Halloween is my favourite time of year, but for a former goth my jewellery isn't very doomy at all!

Hi everyone,

There's only just over a week left to go in this month's Halloween themed competition - don't forget to submit your entry!

Good luck everyone

Some great entries so far.

Alison - the wax carving for the dragon looks very delicate and as I've never dabbled with wax it's particularly interesting to see it alongside the cast piece for comparison.

Adam - the "bone" shank on the skull ring is a perfect detail - did you form it from round wire or was it cast/metal clay?

Wallace - love the stones set into the cauldron and the tiny bat. Can I ask how you burnish your stones - my setting attempts are getting better but still plenty of room for improvement.

Sandra - your raven piece is lovely. Was the raven layer soldered on or did you need to cold connect to avoid damaging the keum-boo? Also pleased to hear your sievert and tumbler are not broken!

Susie

Quote Originally Posted by susieq View Post
    Some great entries so far.

Alison - the wax carving for the dragon looks very delicate and as I've never dabbled with wax it's particularly interesting to see it alongside the cast piece for comparison.

Susie
    Thanks Susie

The dragon wax isn't nearly as delicate as you'd think. It's taken me a while to learn the limits of what I can get away with in terms of design. Unfortunately every tiny scratch or clumsy join in the wax shows up in the finished cast, so I've had to get better at finishing. I think my first attempt at a wax ring in silver weighted over 2oz and was completely unwearable. The good thing is I can melt my many mistakes back down and try again!

Wax became my primary medium when I went through quite a big re-learning curve following a car accident. Luckily I got to see a good physio every week for a year who understood why I wanted to be able to grip properly and be able to use a hammer for more than 15 seconds without being sore. I was turning the air blue every time I dropped a fiddly bit, melted something I was trying to solder or scrabbled around wondering where the stone I was trying to set had pinged off to. At times, it felt like I got a far longer sentence than the bloke who did the uninsured hit and run.

These days, I find I can pretty much get the wax to do what I want it to and I've started to work with metal again too, though my skills here are pretty rudimentary. I try to design round my own limitations and simplify my processes by doing as much in the wax and as little in the metal as possible.

Alison

Currently working on an item that could come under the Haloween theme, just not sure if I'll get it finished in time as I only started on it this afternoon. Here's a little sneak peak of the progress so far 😈Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	8257

Quote Originally Posted by susieq View Post
    Sandra - your raven piece is lovely. Was the raven layer soldered on or did you need to cold connect to avoid damaging the keum-boo? Also pleased to hear your sievert and tumbler are not broken!

Susie
    Thank you Susie! The Raven layer was soldered on before the keum boo was done. I had to cut the moon in half and carefully place half at a time with a tweezers underneath the branches. It was a little tricky burnishing it all down but I found ways to do it with a variety of tools LOL.

I'd also like to say thank you for all the other kind comments! I really appreciate the positive support as well as the help from everyone here. Through all my many struggles and disasters over the past year (or two) just lately I feel like I've turned a corner or something. Just being able to come up with my own original idea and make it work was a pretty great experience.

Client came in with late mothers gold and wanted a pendant made from it. She wanted an Owl pendant at first as the Owl had a special meaning to them both, we had a brief consultation and went through a few ideas together, and after a few sketches we ended up with this idea, she was also a big fan of Harry Potter so she loved the idea. his turned out to be a labour of love as the amount of time spent on it outweighed what I charged to make it, but I got so into it and could tell it would be something special once finished. I really enjoyed making it and I'm very happy with how it turned out. I especially like the small extra details I added like the hidden Diamond underneath with fancy cut out base rather than just going for a plain disc, I also added a small flower charm and heart key and an opening door. Let's just hope she likes it ��Click image for larger version. 

Views:	47 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	8261Click image for larger version. 

Views:	51 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	8262Click image for larger version. 

Views:	54 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	8263Click image for larger version. 

Views:	52 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	8264Click image for larger version. 

Views:	51 
Size:	16.9 KB 
ID:	8265T

Here's a couple of process shots.Click image for larger version. 

Views:	37 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	8266