Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to shine Silver Chain after pickling?

I used the slower setting Devcon and found it didn't set. I left it for 24 hours. Maybe there weren't exactly equal parts or I hadn't mixed it properly. I used it on bought sterling silver chain ends for snake chain and it didn't set. I may try araldite. Or maybe the chain ends are too small...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's really important that the mix is equal in all the epoxy glues. I use araldite rapid for my general needs but I would still be soldering the ends on
    Last edited by CJ57; 02-10-2015 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Predictive text

I use Devcon in preference to Araldite for pretty much everything where I need an epoxy and invariably the slow setting variant. To be fair though, all of the DIY epoxies are pretty rubbish when compared with the stuff that's used in professional applications. If I want a high strength fast bond, I tend to use acrylic structural adhesive - colloquially known as "green death" as it's a wee bit toxic. All of the 2 pack adhesives are easier to use with mixer nozzles & a dispenser gun, but that's additional cost and not worth it for occasional use.

I use easy solder paste in the end cap and hold the snake chain in a third hand so that it just sits in the end cap but all links are hanging from each other. So there is a gap between them so the solder doesn't flow upwards and join the links together. pickle and soak in bicarb then tumble.
    Neil