Thread: Help! Fingerprint pmc

Default Help! Fingerprint pmc

I really need some help before I waste anymore money :-(
    I am making a fingerprint pendant for my friend, it's her daughters print which I am getting from flexi gum and making a reverse print to put into the clay, all good so far... I fire it up and oxidise it but when it come to sanding it down/brushing off the patina it messes up my print and it looks all dodgy. Can't seem to get a lovely looking print where you can see all the beautiful detail. Am I missing a trick here?

Would be so grateful for any advice xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't do impression jewellery but I do work with silver clay. I'm guessing the issues you're having is because you're sanding the piece after you've fired it. Do you have a Dremel (or similar)? I remove any excess LOS and polish my silver clay pieces with my Dremel.

I sometimes use PMC for prints and after I've fired them and oxidised them I just rub over with a rouge cloth. I generally use the PMC fine silver which is really soft, so that's all that's needed. Sanding would probably obliterate the print, especially if it's a second generation impression. You need a really really light touch.

Is there any reason why you couldn't / shouldn't make the impression directly into the clay?

Quote Originally Posted by jayneharrison View Post
    Is there any reason why you couldn't / shouldn't make the impression directly into the clay?
    Yes, into PMC, as suggested by Medusa above. It will give you a much sharper result, but there is no fall-back position if it misfires. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by jayneharrison View Post
    A direct impression will be much deeper and sharper than one made from a a putty type mold. You get a better impression if you make a mold from a photopolymer sheet, but it's pretty fiddly.