Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to invisble set small diamonds

Default How to invisble set small diamonds

The best way I use is to use an old drill ball 005 flatten of the end make sure the end is polished smooth no scratches
    And put into Handel ball round , drill hole so the stone fits in so tight it won't come out even if you bang it hard ,
    Then with your flat end pusher scim around the edge of the hole about 45 degree angle clock wise or anti keeping a
    smooth even pressure until metal is over the stone if done properly you will end up with a bright rim around the stone no
    Scratches marks around the stone it will be very clean .
    Secondly get another 005 ball drill put it in your drill and with sand paper take the drill down to a fine pin point
    And make sure it is highly polished and put that in a grain tool Handel , then with it burnish inside the rim in a circular
    Motion until all the metal is on the stone and rim is even .
    There you go no mess no buffing over metal getting out scratches dents clean job, believe me it's the best way ben doing this for over 30 years , if you need any help give us a call.

diamondsetting4u.com

Default Re Flush Setting.

Hi John,
    There are as many methods for this as there are setters word wide, but as you are an established professional we should take note.

Could you please clarify: 'FLATTEN OFF THE END'. Do you mean square it off, or make it thin and flat? Regards, Dennis.

Hi Dennis yes there are various ways of in visible setting and have seen many bad examples.
    ie there is no crisp edge around stone stones not level and that have fallen out , I to have tried various ways over
    the years thousands of hours, and had to come up with a way that was quick and gave the best results and that it was easy to teach and also could be used to set stones inside rings to.
    The answer to your question if you get a 005 ball fraze and with a very thin diamond disc cut through the 005 ball fraze
    At the point were the thickness of drill would be roughly the same size of the small stone , then put the ball fraze in your drill and while the drill is spinning fast just keep dabbing it onto your smooth sand paper stick until it is perfectly smooth,
    This is then ready to put into a Handel this one is going to be used to lightly skim metal over stone , if done properly
    The metal around stone will still be highly polished .
    Then do the same thing again another 005 ball but this time just cut off the ball so you end up with a very thin pusher with a flat end , do the same thing with sand paper and put in Handel this one is for the inside edge at 45 degree angle .
    And then make your pining tool out of 005 ball just put in your drill spin high speed on sand paper so you end up with a very fine point and give it a spin on polishing paper so ends up polished bright , put in Handel this will be your pining tool
    To go around inside edge to make it crisp edge and bright .
    I will take some pics and do step by step ilistratration if anyone is interested.
    Hope this helps it is much easier to show some one.

diamondsetting4u.com
    Last edited by johnmoto; 29-09-2015 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnmoto View Post
    I will take some pics and do step by step ilistratration if anyone is interested.
    Hope this helps it is much easier to show some one.
    diamondsetting4u.com

Would love to see a step by step please!

I have an ability to pick up small stones that is several light years faster than my ability to set them, so would be much appreciated. You sound very knowledgeable and nothing beats experience. Thanks

Another vote for some pics and step by step instructions - I'm just starting out with flush setting (small Moissanites in silver). Thanks for the helpful tips so far, John.
    Alan

Forgive my ignorance John, I'm not familiar with the designation 005 ball fraze.
    Would that be what I know as 0.5mm ball burr? Or am I way off track?

Yes please for some photos too. Have done the odd flush set using Soham Harrisons YouTube method but always interested in learning more.

Sorry, Just realised the thread was about invisible setting not flush setting.
    Even more interested now as I'm not sure what it is.
    Off to GoogleWorld.

What I know as invisible setting involves notching the sides of a stone to lock into tiny rails under the stone, so there's no metal visible holding the stone. It's a horrible way to set and a sod to repair!
    I don't think John is referring to that...

hi teedee they are the same thing

diamondsettin4u.com
    Last edited by johnmoto; 30-09-2015 at 04:55 PM.