Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chasing Punches / Tool Steel

Default Chasing Punches / Tool Steel

Afternoon all,

Does anyone know of a reliable link, or indeed reading material on how to produce chasing punches to whatever design you need?

Even better, does anyone know of a retailer selling such punches pre-made?

I presume that you would need to heat and temper the steel as you would do a graver etc, but where would you actually buy the stock tool steel from?

Cheers,

Nick

Hi nick
    I bought a set from this guy,Peter will tell you they aren't the shapes he would choose but they are well made and having asked around other producers, a reasonable price.
    Delivery was quite quick. https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1597...ols?ref=market

I looked into this a while ago and found a few sources for how to do it. I have not done it yet but I liked this video for how to. I am not sure where you live but here in Edmonton, you can get tool steel from a place called Metal Supermarket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9R3z_tv0ag

Rock Shelley
    www.rockshelley.com

Nancy Megan Corwin's book has a good amount of detail on making them - the working end must be hardened and tempered, but it's best if the hammered end is tempered back even softer.
    Round silver steel & square O1 I tend to buy from Cromwell; James has a suggested retailer who does silver steel in shorter sections than 5' but the name eludes me at the moment.

And at some point I will shape all the punch blanks I've cut...!

Blimey that was a quick and useful response from you all, thanks very much.

For the sake of seventy odd quid, I think I'll save myself the faff and order from that Etsy guy to begin with. If in the future I need a shape thats not included, then I'll venture down the make-my-own route.

Many thanks,

Nick

It does say that he can do to order so might be worth asking. The postage wasn't that much either

Typically with a selection, there will be some less useful ones and you can customise those. Of course it doesn't end there: you will need a pitch bowl, although a square wooden box full of pitch is what I was taught on. Alternatively you can opt for a lead block, as suggested by James Miller.

I found this link, which might give useful information: http://jarkman.co.uk/catalog/jewel/chasingpunches.htm. Regards, Dennis.

Voorsprung durch Yunke!

I read a section in (I think it was) Silversmithing for jewellery makers by Elizabeth Bone on tool making. Somewhere round and abouts I also picked up that the best steel can be found in old files at car boot sales etc for next to nowt. I have a couple, but not so sure that my modern SDS chisel heads will be up to scratch.

On the link that Dennis posted, Jarkman says to drop the heated steel into water. I think Bone says to drop it into oil... not sure which oil mind. Best DYOR on that point.

Water hardening steels need the faster quench rate of water.
    Oil hardening steels need the slower rate.

Old files are all well and good but you need to forge them to tool blanks. If you're going that far then garage door springs are easy to unravel and already a decent diameter to use for punches.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    If you're going that far then garage door springs are easy to unravel and already a decent diameter to use for punches.
    I think I picked that up from a knifemaker friend of mine - yes he does go so far as to forge, so point taken, but don't worry he doesn't threaten anyone's garage doors on a regular basis.