Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pendant bail issues

Default Pendant bail issues

Busy with new pendant but placement of pierced area causing problems with it listing to one side although tube bail soldered dead centre. (Image attached for info). Had similar problems with larger version with tube on either side then strung on pearls but this was recified by slightly adjusting the position of each section of tube.
    Don't want to spend too much time (i work full time) and wondered if there was an easy solution other then moving the bail off-centre or somehow adding weight to the pierced side?
    Also have earrings but the same issue was resolved by attaching the wire hook directly to the earring rather than onto a ring which was a batle also!
    Thanks.
    Aileen
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pendant bail problem.jpg  

Hi Aileen, welcome to the forum.
    I would have thought if the tube bail is soldered straight across it should hang properly no matter. If you've soldered it around the hoop that may be a different matter. I've got a few non symmetrical pendants with tube bails but the bail has to be horizontal to the the hoop either behind or above
    Could you post a pic of the back?

Hi Caroline
    Thanks for the warm welcome. Thought I recognised your work from Facebook it's nice to 'meet' you.
    Yes, I would have thought so too, however, the weight on the unpierced side is definitely pulling the pendant to that side. I want the bail to be hidden which usually works well but not on this piece.
    I have (hopefully) attached the reverse of the unfinished pendant and finished earrings to give you an idea of what I am trying to achieve!
    Thanks.
    Aileen
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bail problem 2.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	8192Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bail problem.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	8191

Hi Aileen, as I understand it, you want the pierced area to hang as an upright D-shape.

I agree with Caroline in suggesting a tube bail which would force it to hang straight. So that it echoes the earrings, you might solder on a rigid wire, which then wraps around a visible tube and is soldered to it.

My preference would be a slightly curved tube. Dennis
    Last edited by Dennis; 28-09-2015 at 06:55 PM.

Hi Dennis
    Yes, the aim is to hang the pendant but upright with reversed D-shape with the resin towards the bottom of the unpierced side.
    This sounds like a really good but simple method of establishing the right balancing point and certainly easier than applied physics!
    Thanks.
    Aileen

Hi Denis
    Long day and just re-read your post properly.
    I have used a tube bail but because of the weight the pendant just won't hang straight. My thoughts were to maybe use a slightly broader piece of tube but if this was in the centre, part of it would be visible and I want to avoid that. However, slightly curved tube could work and definitely worth investigating further.
    Thanks again.
    Aileen

I'm having difficulty seeing the bail on the pendant but I'm guessing that it's too deep and therefore giving the necklace or chain to much room for manoeuvre, I'd say it's also just slightly too far over to the heavy side so it's weighting that way. If your centre line is the edge you are soldering up to the bail is always going to be over on the heavy side if you get what I mean, the bail is always going to be left of centre to it won't hang square.

The bail would ideally be above the centre line or as you say overlapping the pierced area which wouldn't look. A fine wire bail that mirrors the earrings might work and work it into the design
    Last edited by CJ57; 28-09-2015 at 08:34 PM.

Hi Caroline
    Sorry about the image it was taken hastily.
    The tube has been soldered about 4mm from the top edge and centrally across the width of the pendant but the line is actually just off centre.
    i will play around with a wire bail but it might be better to create this design in a slightly larger size to allow me to place the bail nearer the top edge in the right position but still being hidden from view.
    Thanks.
    Aileen

That would be an easier option or maybe design it asymmetrically so that the solid is wider than the pierced out part and can happily take the bail in the centre of the pendant. It seems a shame not to use the one you've already made too it will just take on a slightly different vision of what you intended, I have lots of those

Not quite ready to give up but I agree it's a shame to waste this one so I might just find a way to 're-purpose' it. Also have the beginnings of a collection of good ideas at the time!