Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black or dark patina INSIDE bezel?

Default Black or dark patina INSIDE bezel?

Hello,

I started making a silver ring with a faceted rainbow moonstone set "upside-down" in a bezel with an open back - the table laying flush on the finger.
    I put the stone down on a black surface today and changed my mind. I loved the look of the black underneath the stone more than silver or flesh-tone. Now I want to start all over but with a very dark black inside the bezel, under the stone. Perhaps some patina on the outer surfaces as well.

Is this advisable? Will it work? Will it ruin or affect the stone in any way? Will it rub off or scratch off while setting the stone?

I have not used LOS or any patina solution yet, though I'm itching to. Maybe this would be too advanced for my first patina experiment?

Thanks!
    Adam

Could you cut a piece of black felt and place it under the stone? You'd have a slightly higher stone/ bezel in that case - and you'd need to redo the bezel case with a closed back.

You could use a permanent marker pen rather than oxidise. Some people use Sharpies rather than Los or platinol, my solution of choice as not quite so smelly by the way. If you use fabric you wouldn't be able to make contact with water
    Last edited by CJ57; 04-09-2015 at 01:20 PM.

Caroline has the best idea, because with a blakck marker, you can try the stone in and see the effect before setting.

To remove marker black, or lighten it, use meths on a Q-Tip.

To remove the stone if it sticks, lay in a length of dental floss first to yank it out by. Dennis.

Thanks for the ideas!

I do have some good permanent markers I could try. I liked the idea of black felt but I'm worried that water or something else might creep through the bezel over time?

If I brushed on patina solution after the stone is set, is there a chance it could ruin the rainbow moonstone?

Quote Originally Posted by kraftrourke View Post
    Thanks for the ideas!

I do have some good permanent markers I could try. I liked the idea of black felt but I'm worried that water or something else might creep through the bezel over time?

If I brushed on patina solution after the stone is set, is there a chance it could ruin the rainbow moonstone?
    Not a good idea. it will inevitably get into cracks and imperfections.

Patinate first, then set and tidy up. Then touch up any metal where needed with a fine paint brush made of artificial fibres. I find it needs surprisingly little. Dennis.

Personally I'd use a very fine paintbrush and some platinol. You wouldn't need much at all.

tidy up the bezel until you're content with it, then apply the platinol. Let it darken until you're happy with it, then dip in water to stop the oxidisation.

Then fit the stone ( using dental floss as a safety feature like Dennis suggests ) followed by setting it, then its a simple case of tidying up and burnishing the outside edge of the bezel and removing any stray little platinol marks.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing the end results if you post on here. Good idea!

Cheers,

Nick

Thanks Dennis and Nick! I will definitely post a picture when I finish. I'm going to try the permanent marker first. But also going to buy some patina for the rest of the piece and other things.

Is platinol similar to Black Max in the states? http://www.riogrande.com/Product/Mid...n,-4-oz/331053 I'm about to order that and perhaps LOS gel.

Also, would you recommend patina prep for silver or is it a waste? http://www.riogrande.com/Product/NoN...inaPrep/335021

Thanks!
    Adam

Just thought I'd throw another option in. The fellow uses barbecue paint. If this doesn't help you, it may help someone else down the road.

[edit: can't post URLs yet!] Well have a search for "how to create a black background jewelry monk" and it should come up if you're interested.

Thanks Audrey, that's interesting!