Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Hallmarking requirements

Although you don't need a hallmark in that case, would it not be worth mentioning to your customers in the UK, as a courtesy, that should they ever wish to sell the piece on they would need to have it hallmarked?

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Although you don't need a hallmark in that case, would it not be worth mentioning to your customers in the UK, as a courtesy, that should they ever wish to sell the piece on they would need to have it hallmarked?
    Hi Caroline, the majority of my work is personalised so I don't think the re-selling would be an issue. I do have a section on my website, though, explaining the Hallmarking Act. My special edition pieces (such as my IOM TT Course jewellery) which aren't personalised are/will be hallmarked, anyway

Edited because I can't spell today!
    Last edited by DaisyDaisy; 28-09-2015 at 11:39 AM.

Ok so Im even more confused now as I distinctly remember Hans ( in Germany) being told he was breaking the law by describing items on his website as 9ct gold etc if he was going to sell in the UK without hallmarking?
    So Steve, are you now saying if we are based outside the UK and sell online to the UK we don't need to hallmark?
    Or is this just IOM?
    Presumeably we would need to follow our host countries laws in that case but if our host country has lower requirements as I believe France does are we still ok if we follow UK ones instead?
    Personally I prefer to stick with the UK as I believe its better and they certainly have an easier system plus my customers understand a UK mark

Hi Enigma...yes it is a bit confusing, and TS advice, who enforce the regulations in the UK, aren't very consistent right now which makes it even harder. I've detailed the latest advice above which essentially says that if the transaction is carried out and completed offshore, then that country's laws apply in the same way as if you had walked into the store and made the purchase.
    The issue is that the hallmarking act doesn't cover online sales very well, and TS haven't given me a definitive answer as to where the "point of sale" occurs in an online sale.
    Regarding French hallmarking regs, I can tell you that France does accept our hallmarks but we do not accept theirs, as there methods of testing and tolerance levels are not as rigorous as ours.

Thanks Steve
    I shall stick with my UK system then I think.
    Do you know anything about Portugal as we shall be moving there next year ? i.e.: do they also accept UK hallmarking?

Portugal have a great system of hallmarking, like ours, and are in the hallmarking convention, so we accept each others marks with the addition of the convention mark to their and our national marks

If the OP wants to make sure about trading standards here then in her terms of business specify that the contract for sale is formed in the IoM and subject to IoM law.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

I have just joined the forum and was interested in this hallmarking topic as i am currently turning .925 British coins into rings.
    As the coins preserve the detail on the face and inner surface including the date, do i need to get them hallmarked before sale?

Thanks in advance Rob.

If you look at today's sad post by Steve LAO, you might not get an authentic answer here. However you could phone the London Assay office at 020 7606 8971, or the assay office you might be using.

My off the cuff response is that:
    1. They can be sold intact as silver coins.

2. Being no longer legal tender, they can presumably be made into rings, but then can only be sold in the UK as silver if they conform to hallmarking regulations. Otherwise they must be designated White Metal. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 14-10-2015 at 09:42 PM.