Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sterling silver pin on brooch

Default Sterling silver pin on brooch

Hi, I have made a sterling silver brooch for a friend using 2mm plate. I also bought 2 sterling silver brooch pins to attach one to the back. When I tried to solder the pin to the brooch the (easy) solder would not flow and the pin got so hot it melted. Is this because the brooch is so thick that it needs more heat for the solder to flow, or just bad soldering technique? How can I solder the small pin to the back of a 2mm thick brooch?

Hi Jim,
    I'm not very experienced, and I'm sure someone else will be along soon to help out who has years and years worth of advice to give. I haven't tried to solder anything 2mm thick before, but for what its worth I would start by trying to sweat solder - perhaps this is what you have already done? putting some solder on the brooch and when it starts to melt (it will get wet/shiny looking) take off the heat, and using tweezers position the pin in place and return the heat, the solder should flow straight away, really fast, as soon as it does, take away the heat and the pin should be soldered on. Maybe you have already tried this, if so then I don't know what you should do, but someone here will know what to do. Good luck
    Sue

Hi Jim I'm assuming that you have bought the all in one fitting with a plate? I know it's more fiddly but you'd be better with the separate hinge and clasp and then you rivet the pin into the hinge end. These can be held in tweezers until the last minute and then popped onto the solder as it melts. Otherwise you would be better to sweat solder onto the back of the clasp unit, heat the brooch to a point, flux the area you want the fitting , place the fluxed fitting on the brooch and keep the heat from the torch from underneath not the top so that the brooch is taking the heat. Either raise it on a wig or take a heavy piece of binding wire and zig zag it and place the brooch on top so that the heat is travelling under the metal and not being absorbed by the brick. Hope this helps, good luck!

Yes, sweat soldering and heating only the thick plate is the way forward, but if you are going to position the fitting once the solder has melted, then be sure to hold it in your preferred hand, i.e. R if you are right handed, or you will be too shaky.

If the solder will not flow, then your torch is too small to give enough heat. Dennis.

Thanks Sue, haven't tried this so may have a go.

Thanks Dennis

Of course you're other option might be to use a steel pin instead of a silver one? Would that help?

Hi Caroline, thanks for this. Yes I did buy the one piece fitting. I'll see if I can get the type you suggest and try that.

Hi Steve, If I could get a steel one to solder then it maybe an option

Hi Jim, photos always help. To give advice we need to know your equipment set up, such as what torch are you using, what flux do you use, how big is the 2mm. thick brooch and what experience you have at soldering. Photos always explain things better than words.