Thread: Paper And String.

Default Paper And String.

Commissions or rather requests from family and friends are always welcome, because they take me out of my comfort zone.

This one for a necklace, was accompanied by a rather blurry photograph and my interpretation was that it had a set of pointed metal tabs probably seven, lightly patinated and suspended from heavy duty thong.

To be sure I started by making a quick mock up from stiff paper and string, which seemed to be about right and gave me some indication of the length too.

Then I made the tabs from 0.5mm textured silver, bending the ends into tubing with linking pliers and checking the size with a 2.0mm mandrel.
    The pierced parts were made separately and soldered on top. I am not a fan of paste solder, but it seemed ideal for this. Luckily, as the paste from Palmer Metals seems to stay fresh for ever, I was able to use some I had bought ages ago.

So as not to be absolute copy cats, we decided on a different piercing pattern, but the challenge was not to have surplus solder escape into the design, because solder does not colour well.

You will see that I also made tube ends with a hook faster and an extension chain. The whole lot were immersed in Noirit, the marvellous oxidising agent from Cookson. Used straight from the bottle, it is fairly slow acting but produces an even colour without flakes forming and definitely an advance on previous concoctions.
    The colour was reduced to a lighter grey by brushing with a large soapy glass brush.

Finally the parts were threaded onto tight fitting black thong, using glue for the tube ends. Completed thanks to paper and string. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ps Paper and String.jpg   Ps1 TheTabs.jpg   Ps2 The Tab Tecklace.jpg  

I love the simplicity of the design Dennis. I love seeing your "how I made it" pics, as they always give me useful ideas for current projects.

How did you stop the tabs from moving from their position within the thong?
    Jules

Thank you Jules. The 'tubes' were bent up to be a really tight fit for 2.0mm round thong. The thong ends were cut to a point with a craft knife and hardened with epoxi glue so that they could be threaded through. Regards, Dennis.

Blue Peter strikes again - nice result, Dennis!
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by ajda View Post
    Blue Peter strikes again - nice result, Dennis!
    Alan
    Great result - simply stylish and some good tips as per usual - thank you!

Striking yet simple, I think my teenage daughter would love this!! Thanks for showing.
    Sam.

Thank you all. Dennis.

I like that Dennis as I tend to do with most of your creations.

Useful to hear you describe how it was made, but mostly I like the original nature of the design. Nice one!

Nick