Thread: Hallmark size question

Default Hallmark size question

Daft question for a dreech Monday -

How wide are both the basic convention & traditional marks in total for a 0.25mm & 0.5mm high stamp (assuming 3 letters on makers mark)?
    Trying to make sure my models have enough allowance...

specifically which marks?

Common control marks & traditional marks for e.g. 18k?

Just had a chat with the technical team and there are no charts for the width of marks, only for the height! Apparently this is because there are no set spacing regulations between the marks so each mark can be as close or as wide to the next mark as you like which would lengthen or shorten the complete set of marks....however the marks are height critical which is why the punches are measured by height and not width.
    You also need to remember that with struck marks, although the measurement might be, for example 0.5mm high, the actual mark will be bigger as the metal around the mark is also affected, as well as the mark itself.

In that case, Steve, could the maker create a space for the hallmarks to be applied, ensuring it was high enough to accommodate the marks, and at least wide enough, and ask that you judge the space between marks so as to fill the area nicely - ie not leaving a lot of blank space at one or both ends? ...if you see what I mean.
    Alan

Yes we can. You just have to be a bit careful though regarding the charges. We apply the standard hallmark using standard spacing, but if you would like us to apply with wide spaces or to fill a certain area or design, then this would be classed as a display or feature hallmark. These, like the larger marks, incur an additional £2.50 per article charge as they take longer to layout and measure up. It's all do-abole though!

That's useful to know, Steve - thanks.

I feel as if children's TV is taking over the forum. Dennis' recent post about paper and string put me in mind of Blue Peter and now we've got Bob the Hallmarker: "Can we fix it? Yes we can!"

Quote Originally Posted by ajda View Post
    ...at least wide enough...
    That's kind of the crucial bit. I've got a design where I need to leave enough room to support a hallmark, but don't know how small I can go.

Quote Originally Posted by ajda View Post
    That's useful to know, Steve - thanks.

I feel as if children's TV is taking over the forum. Dennis' recent post about paper and string put me in mind of Blue Peter and now we've got Bob the Hallmarker: "Can we fix it? Yes we can!"
    so long as we don't come across any clangers we should be fine!!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLAO View Post
    so long as we don't come across any clangers we should be fine!!
    I've just knitted my granddaughter Tiny Clanger (and a Soup Dragon!)