Thread: pointed pearl cap

Default pointed pearl cap

Hi guys, i'm making pearl caps for Tahitian pearl earrings but they are pointed at the top and wondered if anyone had any tips for shaping as the usual way with a doming block isn't the right shape!

Thank you, I will take a look!

Yes, what you probably want is something like a dunces hat, most easily made from curved strip and shaped around a fat pencil, maybe an eyebrow one. I would suggest 0.30 or 0.4mm fine silver for ease of handling.

I would start with stiff paper to make a template. So using a compass, or a bread plate, draw a curved strip about 10mm wide, with an outer radius of about 100mm. Cut out a neat curved strip and use part of this to form a cone. Once satisfied with this, transfer the shape onto metal. If you want to be cautious you will make it in thin copper next.

The edge can be left plain, or given a decorative shape. the cone can have a peg, or the pearl can be glued in without. My picture shows this done for garnet drops. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Garnet Earrings.jpg  
    Last edited by Dennis; 21-09-2015 at 01:09 PM.

Thats brilliant thank you Dennis, I will try that! I am using 18ct White Gold but will practice in silver first

Just bobbing in to point out that nothing which is a Tahitian pearl should be shaped like those garnets. A sneaky way to get the pearl to sit in a more conventional cap is to file off any point - some Tahits do go to a bit of a point but most conventional cap shapes, with a pin, will cope with all but the pointiest
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

It isn't shaped like those garnets, its like a drop shape, I have managed to shape it almost to how I need it using a collet block & punch