Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Drilling with Foredom

Quote Originally Posted by susieq View Post
    There are left-handed drill bits? Never knew that!
    Yes, it's not an apprentice joke this one.

"Left-handed" (alternatively "left-hand") needs some qualification: hold a regular drill bit in front of you with the tip pointing upwards; the flutes curve upwards to the right. On a left-hand drill bit the flutes curve upwards to the left. I'm not sure what all the uses are of a left-hand drill bit, but one very handy one is to enable you to drill into an embedded bolt or screw whose head has snapped off and extract it using the rotational force of the bit. It doesn't always rotate the bolt out, but often does. If it doesn't there are other means you can resort to.

I tried using my Foredom for drilling holes, and neither handpiece, either the quick release or the key chuck one worked in thick silver, I resorted to buying a stand drill in the end. My problem was probably not having a left eye, you cant judge distance and have to spend ages lining things up, but with a foredom I couldnt see if it was exactly upright.
    Last edited by Patstone; 18-09-2015 at 05:24 AM.

Thank you all very much for all the feedback and suggestions. I am pleased to say i have finally figured out what i was doing wrong. I have the 3 jaw hand piece, i assumed if I tightened it on one end that would be enough. The drill bit was definitely secure, but once i tightened all 3 sides it worked perfectly. Once again, thank you all for all the help and support, if it wasn’t for you all I wouldn’t have figured it out 

Thank you for letting us know the happy ending. However it will make you struggle on with the same burr or drill rather than change it when you are busy. So sometime in the future I would suggest you go in for a quick release handpiece. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by cartres View Post
    Thank you all very much for all the feedback and suggestions. I am pleased to say i have finally figured out what i was doing wrong. I have the 3 jaw hand piece, i assumed if I tightened it on one end that would be enough. The drill bit was definitely secure, but once i tightened all 3 sides it worked perfectly. Once again, thank you all for all the help and support, if it wasn’t for you all I wouldn’t have figured it out 
    that's weird. I have the same thing and drill 2mm holes into 2mm thick sterling all the time and I've never had to tighten all three sides. I assumed that it just tightens the same as with a regular chuck irrespective of which hole you put the key into.

Anyway I was going to suggest my process which is: use a punch first, then I drill with a 1.5mm drill before using the 2mm drill bit. I drill very slowly and lube up with 3in1. I tend to only use drills 4 or 5 times though as they blunt fast, especially the small ones.

Have you made sure there is no metal broken off the drill and stuck in whole sorry to suggest the obvious but it
    Happens if so leave in alum or some sort of strong acid and it will dissolve over night.