Thread: Microwave kilns - is it worth it? Bronze Clay.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Microwave kilns - is it worth it? Bronze Clay.

I have been working with ACS and PMC for about 18 months, and am successfully "stove top" firing it.

I recently bought some Prometheus Bronze and Prometheus White Bronze clay. I know the white bronze has to be kiln fired, and I am having terrible trouble torch firing the bronze. I get the orange glow and hold it there fore 10 minutes, as per the instructions, but I just can't get it to sinter.

This is a hobby I do in my spare time, I just can't afford the expense of a kiln, and have nowhere to store one. Has anyone used one of these microwave kilns? I understand it's not an exact science and would take a degree of trial and error to work out firing times etc, and at £60 I don't want to buy one if they are not likely to work at all. If I knew that someone had had some success with one, I would probably be willing to try. I'd also have to buy a second microwave!

Failing that, I would welcome tips for torch firing, or recommendations for kiln firing services. I've found a place that will do it for £3 per piece, but I'd need to fire several small items at a time, so this would be quite costly for me. But I think this will probably be my only option for white bronze, something tells me that white bronze absolutely won't like a microwave kiln. I'm not sure about normal bronze though.

By the way, Prometheus claims it does not need to be fired in carbon.

interesting question that I can't help you with.

I've been learning about PMC and have made a handful of things with it. I LOVE it, because I'm really a sculptor at heart, and usually work in wax, then send an item out to be cast in bronze.

I torch-fire the silver at my kitchen counter (with LOTS of ventilation) using a simple plumbers torch.
    i've never used the bronze or copper but might one day.

I have a Hot Pot microwave kiln, and I've never had any joy with it at all. I was working with Bronze clay, and despite several attempts I could never get it to fire properly. I gave up, because it was proving very expensive in clay. I'd be interested to her if anyone has had a better experience.

I didnt know you could buy microwave kilns for clay, I have one that I bought to do glass fusing but gave up as I didnt like the results and decided that Semi precious stones were better suited to my work. I also have an old microwave that is going up for grabs if anyone wants it, not hygienic for food prep as it has a rusty spot in it but ok for glass fusing.

I've only worked with the pmc silver, which I torch-fire using a propane torch. It's my understanding that the bronze and copper need to be enclosed in graphite (or something like that...) so it doesn't oxidize during the firing.

or charcoal. something that doesn't burn, heats up well, and keeps oxygen out.

If there's any way you can stretch to the price of a proper kiln, I imagine it will be cost effective (and less frustrating) in the long run. In the Cooksons sale there's this one, which is quite small and neat and a pretty good price for a new kiln with controller - http://www.cooksongold.com/Precious-...rcode-855-1004
    Alan