Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poorly torch

Default Poorly torch

Can I pick everyone's brains because mine is having a senior moment? I have a go system handheld model 2350 which uses a canister with a mix of butane and propane. For several years it has been without problems and worked fine, doing everything I wanted.
    Yesterday it went all spluttery, low flame, cutting out and reigniting and low heat. a quick shake says still plenty of fuel
    Now I vaguely remember from years and years ago that the jet is dirty and I need to poke something in somewhere to clean it but, having poked a bit here and there and not made a difference I'm thinking I'm not poking properly (!)
    Suggestions from those more practised than me? much thanks
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

I don't know if yours is similar to one I have... Mine's a basic blowtorch that uses disposable screw-on propane/butane canisters. To access the jet with this one, you need to remove the outer part of the burner which is secured with a little grub screw. You can then unscrew the jet itself with a suitable spanner and poke it clear with a piece of very fine wire - though you need to be careful not to snap the wire in the process or get it stuck in the hole.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1230494.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	8080 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1230497.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	8081
    Alan

I had a similar problem with my trusty sievert Wendy and I ended up taking off the burner and boiling it in a pan, it seemed to do the trick. Not sure if it was luck or it cleaned out any gunk, if you have an ultrasonic that might be worth a try

Dear Wendy,

If you can unscrew the burner (the tube) you should expose a brass nut with a tiny hole in the centre. Wearing a rubber glove helps.
    The problem is that this hole is exceedingly narrow, and any alteration to it will ruin the jet size.
    I sill have one pricker for this and the stiff wire on it measures only 0.17mm in diameter.

You can buy them here:http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_js...ricker&_sop=12
    And hopefully they will fit your torch. Dennis.

These jets can get blocked up with carbon and I remember that sometimes if you heat the jet and cool it in water can clean the jet, not very hot though!

I've got a little pokey thing (!). somewhere, though I have no idea where. I might try the local hardware shop tomorrow
    Thanks much for all advice
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Rural Somerset, between Yeovil and Shepton Mallet

Be VERY careful when using some sort of device to poke through a torch jet, the size of the hole is critical and if you make it larger then your torch will not work properly and may overheat your work or actually stop working altogether. Try using an ultrasonic cleaner and/or boiling or soaking in different solvents before poking about.
    Barry the Flying Silversmith👍

Quote Originally Posted by BarryM View Post
    Be VERY careful when using some sort of device to poke through a torch jet, the size of the hole is critical and if you make it larger then your torch will not work properly and may overheat your work or actually stop working altogether. Try using an ultrasonic cleaner and/or boiling or soaking in different solvents before poking about.
    As I said that worked well for me and seemed the safer option

What I am remembering (but not yet finding) is a small length of wire on a handle - a bit like a feeler gauge for spark plug gaps sort of thing which was supplied with a torch for this job. But since it hasn't had to be used for years it has been put away somewhere safe....
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Yes hence the e bay link in my post above. Dennis.