Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swiveling Bail?

Default Swiveling Bail?

I am creating a double-faced pendant with a different design on each side, so that I can wear it one way or the other. I created a simple bail but realised I can't turn the pendant without removing it and re-threading the chain. So to solve this I added a couple small jump rings between the bail and the pendant. I am able to turn it either way now but not sure I like the look. Is there a way to make a bail that is able to swivel around?

Do you think you could post a picture?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra View Post
    I am creating a double-faced pendant with a different design on each side, so that I can wear it one way or the other. I created a simple bail but realised I can't turn the pendant without removing it and re-threading the chain. So to solve this I added a couple small jump rings between the bail and the pendant. I am able to turn it either way now but not sure I like the look. Is there a way to make a bail that is able to swivel around?
    Hi Sandra, the simplest way to describe what you want is:

Make a stout head pin, by melting the end of a wire and shaping the blob. Thread the wire through a hole in the bottom of the bail.
    The end of the wire can now be soldered to your pendant. The pendant will swivel

Your only challenge is to design a pleasing look. Regards, Dennis.

I made a reversible pendant recently and the bail is also reversible, it doesn't have to swivel. You could make a tube bail and solder it to the top. The bail I made was textured strip and I riveted mine to the pendant as a design feature. A photo might help though to understand why you need to turn the bail which you would make as Dennis has advised. It's all about making the bail part of the design if it isn't to be hidden on the back.

Ok thanks everyone! The reason for wanting to turn the bail is the design is day (sun) on one side and night (moon) on the other. I thought I would like to be nice to turn it without taking it off. I hesitate to post a picture as this is just my practice piece prior to making my "real" one.

I'm probably being a bit dense but can't envisage the bail or how you take it off, maybe the torrential rain has drowned my brain:/

LOL no it's probably just my description isn't clear enough! I didn't mean I would remove the bail, I meant not having to take off the pendant and turn it around on the chain in order to see the other side. It's not raining down here in Surrey btw, is it where you are?

Torrential today, I didn't even go to a neighbours outdoor wedding:/
    Can you not just turn the chain round if you get me or did you make the chain and it can't be turned?

I'd go with what Dennis is suggesting - that's what I was thinking, but he explained it better than I would.
    Alan

I think I'd just use a nice chunky Albert swivel and clip it over the chain rather than threading it.