Thread: Dremel 3D Printer Vs 3D Wax Milling

Smile Dremel 3D Printer Vs 3D Wax Milling

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has seen the new "Dremel 3d Idea Builder 3d Printer"? What you think of it, and how does it compare to something such as a 3D wax milling machine of the same price, under the £3000 mark?

I've seen Roland do some 3D wax milling machines, such as the iModella and MDX 20/15(Or the new equivalent) ... but I didn't know how accurate the machine would be for jewellery.

I would be looking to use it to produce pieces of 3D jewellery that can be moulded and then cast such as filigree, would it produce things this accurate?

If neither of them can, does anyone know any other similar type of machines?

Also, i've never used 3D software before, can anyone reccomend any courses or teaching material catered towards the jewellery side of things?

Thanks!
    Hannah

Short version - no.
    The Dremel printer is yet another filament printer and does not have the resolution to do anything detailed. That said, I have a similar printer that I use to prototype jigs & the likes (and as I usually only need 1, there the prototype stays).

Roland had a jewellery-specific wax mill, the JWX10, but it had a reputation for needing a lot of TLC. There's a few printers in the under £3k bracket now, but you'll doubtless hit up against the issue I did of not finding many casters who are prepared to handle resin models for direct burnout.

I understand that GIA are about to launch a London-based CAD programme based on Matrix; SimplyRhino do courses as do Holts (must be others). There's a lot of free training material around too, including videos on both Vimeo & Youtube. My Rhino training was mostly working through the level 1 & 2 training material that is FOC coupled with a book on jewellery design using Rhino. Then a lot of practice (although I have used different CAD packages for quite some time now).

There are a few around £3000 jewellery specific printers around but I think its a transitional time at the moment the technology is almost there but not quite, A mill will be able to produce high quality pieces and a decent machine can be had second hand for that amount of money or less. But they are limited to how much and what you can produce. Each part is made individually and can take several hours to cut. It also has a steep learning curve to program the toolpaths this is another program to learn as well as the design CAD program , If I were you I would learn the CAD software maybe Rhino for example it has a free trial https://www.rhino3d.com/ and have your models made by a bureau to get started and by the time you get it down the printers will be less problematic. There is loads of tutorials on youtube ,I keep saying I will do some videos for the forum on getting started will have to get round to it soon ! If anyone has any ideas of something they want making let me know and I could start with that
    Last edited by josef1; 10-09-2015 at 07:33 PM.