Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anticlastic cuff

I take it that you know about Cynthia's FB Creative Metal forming page; https://www.facebook.com/groups/CreativeMetalForming/

Did you use one of these when making your Cuff Theresa?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	86a Pair of anticlastic stakes.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	8130

James

No I didn't, but I do now! Thanks James.
    I used something similar (I have 2 different ones) plus the Durston bangle maker which I find very useful for smoothing out the hammer marks.
    Actually those shapes shown look better as they would fit more securely in a vice.
    I think I am going to modify my ones and put some bolts on.

Quote Originally Posted by theresa View Post
    That's from where I bought it too Caroline. Best prices if you don't mind the long wait!
    So excited my books arrived today, I only ordered them on the 1st Sept. I think I may have lost the metal forming one to my OH, he's been oohing and aahing over it! Also got Tim McCreights Boxes and Lockets and a brilliant Patina book by Matthew Runfola. Just need to transfer the skills onto metal now:/

Just seen this post Theresa.
    Nice uniform curves. Lovely piece.
    I like the deep black finish, how did you get it?
    I sometimes frost/oxidise/tumble which gives a satinny type finish but not as deep black as yours.
    Tim

That book is wonderful! Really clear, logical, great instructions.

*love* the cuff - I'm going to have to investigate this book!

Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    Just seen this post Theresa.
    Nice uniform curves. Lovely piece.
    I like the deep black finish, how did you get it?
    I sometimes frost/oxidise/tumble which gives a satinny type finish but not as deep black as yours.
    Tim
    Hi Tim - just used Platinol after tumbling. I heated the cuff first in hot water and then dunked it in the Platinol.
    Unsure how it will wear even after sealing. I think any knocks will probably damage the patina. But it was fun to make.

Quote Originally Posted by theresa View Post
    Hi Tim - just used Platinol after tumbling. I heated the cuff first in hot water and then dunked it in the Platinol.
    Unsure how it will wear even after sealing. I think any knocks will probably damage the patina. But it was fun to make.
    Thanks Theresa,
    The finish looks terrific. Good idea with the hot water too. Must remember that tip as it will be a more even heat than lightly torching.
    I often tumble after applying of Platinol. My theory being that if the finish withstands the tumbler then it's unlikely to flake later. The finish is not as deep black as yours as you can see from my humble effort.
    The bangle in the picture has been frosted then Platinoled then tumbled. I've also rubbed the horns of the curve although they would wear naturally like that
    Like you I love hammering but I want to go beyond the basics of anticlastic bangles and cuffs so the book is on my 'Must have' Present list
    Have you done any synclastic work? I've made one bangle so far and found it quite different from anticlastic work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

I quite like the look of synclastic bangles, but find the anticlastic ones much more comfortable to wear. I will probably get around to offering them at some stage, but not a priority at the moment.
    I wish there were courses available like they have in the states - there are so many different shapes to make and the discipline and inspiration found in a classroom would be a great motivation.
    Have you looked on the FB foldforming site yet? It's quite an eye opener what can be achieved.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/fold...group_activity

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10959387_773467912737813_8065607920594940005_n.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	8282Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10410260_773467976071140_9025069940443949931_n.jpg 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	8283Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10988523_773468009404470_934374719181659297_n.jpg 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	8284I've had a broad synclastic bangle on my bench for a while.....it's waiting to be pierced.....

Actually, it looks a fair bit different to that already.....has had a bit more forming and filing the ends to shape......will try and remember to get some more pics!!
    Last edited by Tabby66; 31-10-2015 at 11:41 PM.