Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: bezel and cutting it to the right length

Default bezel and cutting it to the right length

Ok - So how does everyone measure their bezel strip when wanting to set a stone? I'm a beginner and using small buttons instead of stones and finding it really fiddly winding the bezel strip around the button and doing it that way - surely there's a better way to do it that's more acurate and less fiddly.
    Find Milomade online - follow the links below....
    Website | Instagram

Hmm you could use one of those plastic ring sizers that cooksons sell
    (they're white plastic slidy things) Measure the size with that then flatten it out & cut the strip to the length it measured. You'd still have to wind it round the button eventually though (as you'd need to shape it prior to soldering the seam and attaching it to whatever base you're using)...

Nic x
    Monthly FREE entry giveaways on Blogs!
    Shop Blog: http://muranosilver.blogspot.com/
    Silver Clay Blog: http://pmctips.blogspot.com/
    View images of my work on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muranosilver

Thumbs up

that's a good idea - would probably have to make my own though as the buttons a smaller than teh average finger...I could even use a bit of old measuring tape.

Thanks!
    Problem solved.

I've got 40 buttons to do this w/e, so that's going to help a lot.
    Website | Instagram

I measure the diameter of the stone if it is round, then calculate the circumference from that and then the really technical bit, I add a smidge on to account for the thickmess of the bezel strip! You've then also got a bit of leeway to file down to a perfect join for soldering.

Hi was wondering can anybody share with me what size sheet silver they use for the back of a bezel????

Quote Originally Posted by amazingbabe View Post
    Hi was wondering can anybody share with me what size sheet silver they use for the back of a bezel????
    I sa on another thread Murano Glass said most people use .5 but she uses .7 (I think)

As for the question, a simple strip of paper will do the job. Cut a 5mm wide strip of paper, wrap around the gem snugly (but not too tight), mark where the ends overlap, cut and voila...the size of the stones circumference

For easy bezel you could use a 'rod' of the same size (I use my measuring calipers to get the right diameter) and it is easier to wrap around than a stone cab - or button. I usually try and find something in the house that works first - pen, marker, broom handle. Or various sized wooden dowels from the hardware store (you just have to buy a whole one!). When you are really rich you can get a set of bezel mandrels like at wirewrapmandrels. com - but don't forget you will probably pay customs on it too though.

Default Another tip

One I recently saw is to use the sticky edge of a postit note. You place the stone on a flat surface then wrap the postit sticky edge round. The paper sticks to the stone and itself so you can easily mark and cut it to fit. Then you have a template ready to use. I am embarking on making my own bezels very soon so haven't tried it, but I can see this method would work extremely well. Oh yes, mustn't forget, it is important to make sure that you measure the edge which sits directly on the flat surface and not a higher up part of the stone - obvious I know, but we do need to be careful of measurements. I'd hate to be responsible for anyone measuring it wrong and having the wrong size strip of silver. I hope this is of use.

I'm going to try that out now - sounds like a good idea!
    Website | Instagram

Sounds like a good idea to me as well. I don't do much stone setting but next time I do, I'll try that method.