Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: bezel and cutting it to the right length

How frustrating! There are a lot of students of varying skill levels and sometimes she doesn't get to me at all

Quote Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
    How frustrating! There are a lot of students of varying skill levels and sometimes she doesn't get to me at all
    Tell me about it!!!

I joined the last term of last years course, so she hasnt really sat down with me to explain stuff. I am not very good at pushing her either :-s.

A new group of girls started at the beginning of this term, and she seems to alot time to them, whereas her comment to me was "oh you;re fine, you will soon pick this up" but it helps if i am shown stuff first!!.

I have spent the last two weeks wasting time at the class, just waiting to set these stones, doing stuff that i could be doing at home, like sanding and filing, not projects that require assistance. I want to get this bracelet out of the way so i can move onto my serpent pendant, and i am gonna need her advice and time to get that to work right, just hope i can get her for long enough. Otherwise i will sit there like last week twiddling my thumbs waiting to hear what i was to do next to get the tube bit ready to accept the stones.

As you say its all very frustrating, and not at all how i imagined it would be. It cost £75 per term, which is probably not much, but i dont feel i am really being taught, and it seems more of a kind of social meeting for some. So i will take it one term at a time, but if she is not going to be showing any more techniques (she only does the tube stone setting for example) then i will save my money and look elsewhere.
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

I think my teacher is just easily distracted LOL a few weeks ago, after waiting for an hour to start soldering my ring, she was abut to start showing me but asked first what I'd been doing, so I said that another student had kindly been showing me doming. So, she spent 10 minutes then talking to her about how she was getting on LOL

Quote Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
    I think my teacher is just easily distracted LOL a few weeks ago, after waiting for an hour to start soldering my ring, she was abut to start showing me but asked first what I'd been doing, so I said that another student had kindly been showing me doming. So, she spent 10 minutes then talking to her about how she was getting on LOL
    i think our tutors are related lol
    Su' xx

One day i will arrive

Teach yourselves girls !!!! Its the only way ha ha !!!

Quote Originally Posted by amazingbabe View Post
    so i am discovering lol, i have learnt more from here, books and u-tube than i have learnt at college i think
    Su' xx

One day i will arrive

Post bezel strips

I tried this with post it notes with small cabochons 10 x 5mm .I struggled the stones were not deep enough to get a grip on the paper and the stone kept slipping or getting terribly stuck to the paper. I found the measuring thing worked better or simply wrapping the silver strip round , but i'm still lokking for a perfect solution.

Quote Originally Posted by amazingbabe View Post
    or get a fabulous tutor like mine!

Default bezels for cabochons

Bezel strip is rather flimsy and never the right width, so I now cut mine from fine silver sheet. Holding a ruler against the stone you can usually judge the width of bezel requred.
    I have always found the formula for the length of bezel a bit iffy, so I splashed out on a large set of twist drills going upto 13mm.Good quality is not required but the shanks provide a variety of standard mandrells for most stones.
    I just wind my annealed strip around the chosen drill shank and mark where to cut it.Once soldered, if it is a little too big I cut it through and solder again.If it is a little too small it can be expanded on a triblet.
    For oval stones you add the length and width, divide by two,and treat it as round.After soldering it can be made oval and tried on the stone. If it is too large or too small, return it to the round shape with a triblet and adjust as above.
    Sorry this is so long winded ,Dennis.

Excellent idea.... I just use a cloth measuring tape, wrap it round the stone then cut that amt off the bezel wire (super di duper )