Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: bezel and cutting it to the right length

I've done it the post it note way and it made it a whole lot easier. I use 0.7mm sheet for back, it feels better in the hand afterwards than thinner stuff.

Di x

I also use the post it note trick. It's always better to be slightly on the small (tight) side rather than too big - bezel strip is very forgiving and easy to resize upwards a little, but much harder to reduce.

I also use 0.7 backing sheet, and ususally pierce it (either matched to the cup shape or with a freeform squiggle) to get more light into the piece.

I tried the post it note idea, but found it far too fiddly with a small button. I can see this working for large stones, but for tiny buttons I went back to just bending the bezel around the button and fiddling about with it as usual. I'll get the hang of it sooner or later.
    Find Milomade online - follow the links below....
    Website | Instagram

Try wrapping a piece of binding wire around the stone, twisting the wire tight with pliers. Slip off the wire ring and holding it by the twisted portion snip throught the ring of wire. Flatten out to a T shape (the top of the T representing the former ring shape) and present to the bezel wire and mark. Can't remember where I came across this method so I can't claim credit.

I use the method David suggests - it's cheap, easy, accurate and I always have binding wire around!

Default Don't forget the metal thickness in your calcs!

To find the length of metal required to make a setting which fits perfectly around a stone of a given diameter you need to use the following formula, which incorporates the metal thickness as well as the diameter.

This also works for calculating the length of metal needed to make a ring - (same thing really). I know this formula is different from the one usually quoted but mine works . .

(Stone diameter + metal thickness) * Pi

For example, if the diameter was 18mm and the bezel metal was 0.5mm thick

18 + 0.5 = 18.5

18.5 x 3.14159 = 58.12 mm

Note that if the bezel metal was 1mm thick the length would need to increase

eg 18 + 1 = 19

19 x 3.14159 = 59.69 mm

I've found this reliable over the years

Cheers

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by amberdragon View Post
    One I recently saw is to use the sticky edge of a postit note. You place the stone on a flat surface then wrap the postit sticky edge round. The paper sticks to the stone and itself so you can easily mark and cut it to fit. Then you have a template ready to use. I am embarking on making my own bezels very soon so haven't tried it, but I can see this method would work extremely well. Oh yes, mustn't forget, it is important to make sure that you measure the edge which sits directly on the flat surface and not a higher up part of the stone - obvious I know, but we do need to be careful of measurements. I'd hate to be responsible for anyone measuring it wrong and having the wrong size strip of silver. I hope this is of use.

I saw that on YouTube. Looked a really good idea. She tore most of the paper off, just leaving the sticky strip.

When I measure round irregular stones and beach glass etc. for wire wrapping, I use a thin strip of masking tape (I cut it narrower lengthways). I can then mark the tape where I want wraps to go for best grip etc. I can then stick it down on my work surface and use it as a template to start the structure.

Wire wrapping doesn't need to be as accurate as a bezel, but it would take a good enough measure to cut your strip to start forming it. If it were a round stone I'd calculate it probably.
    Last edited by Boo; 19-10-2009 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Thought of something to add

Masking tape, what a great idea.

Quilt shops sell masking tape that is only 1/4" wide. Maybe that would be less fiddly on buttons?

I havent tried setting yet, i watched Nic do a Bezel setting, she made it look very easy lol, i have finally got my tutor to show me the first part of the tube setting for my little bracelet, and i have now polished it ready for the stones to go in, but of course, she has now taken an extra week off before half term, so no college for 2 weeks and then i might finally get the stones in!
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away