Quote Originally Posted by BarryM View Post
Nick - which Oxycon do you use and what is the required Oxygen flow rate for the size 7 tip ?
Nick can of course answer the question for himself, but I thought I'd add a note here.

Probably the cheapest suitable oxy-con you're going to find retail in the UK is something like the refurbished 5 litre per minute unit on this page for £235 (or £241.45 complete with connector for Smith torch) - http://www.tuffnellglass.com/contents/en-uk/d103.html - though you can sometimes pick these up for less on the Frit Happens Forum from a glassworker who's upgrading or selling up. One of these will provide more than enough for the larger tips on the Smith, even the multi-jet tip for melting/casting. I couldn't tell you what the recommended flow rate would be for the different tips, but it's easy enough to find by trial and error, by adjusting the flow control on the oxycon itself and/or by incorporating a simple valve somewhere along the tube. I'd be interested to know what experience people have of smaller, more portable oxy-cons with the Smith.

I have mine connected up to the same setup as two glassworking torches, using two larger 10 LPM oxycons which I got from the US for $500 each plus shipping and import charges - even with just one of those oxycons running I have to open up the oxygen taps on one of the big torches to relieve pressure and reduce oxygen flow to the Smith.

Alan