Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sievert Blow Torch

I only suggest leaving the Oxycon to run for 20 odd mins, but in reality I've no idea of how long it really needs... 5-10 mins or anywhere in between.

I tend to set the Oxycon away while I'm doing another job such as filing, polishing or piercing etc then purge the torch, then light it.

In any event, the Smiths Torch is a great setup whether its used with an O2 cylinder or an Oxycon setup. Highly recommended.

Nick

Does anybody use the EZ torch?

Also, James, is it very dangerous then to use the standard oxygen cylinders in the house?

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Also, James, is it very dangerous then to use the standard oxygen cylinders in the house?
    YES. And it'll probably invalidate your house insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Does anybody use the EZ torch?

Sarah, oxygen itself is not dangerous, it's the effect of oxygen added to any flame that is dangerous as it increases the flame's intensity a lot, even just a burning cigarette. So that is why house insurance could be difficult unless you inform them that the oxygen is just for medical reasons, but they might even be difficult if they know that you are soldering with any flame torch in the house. My home workshop is down the end of my garden and I store my propane and Oxy cylinder in an outside log shelter when not in use, but they are moved inside and next to my bench when I am planning on soldering. As you can see I also like to leave the door open, for fresh air.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	43a- Jims workshop.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	8129

James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 10-09-2015 at 10:33 AM.

HSE notice on compressed O2 - http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/hse8.pdf

All fires need fuel, oxygen and heat. Pull one of them and there's no fire.
    Pure O2 can cause objects to catch fire spontaneously - there used to be a good example taught of putting steel wool into a gas jar full of oxygen. The oxygen reacts with the steel, generating enough heat to combust (which it then does rather rapidly).

Moving slightly off the thread, has no one ever tried the old method of using mouth blown torches, like these; http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-999-CB2
    These were the only type of hand held bench torches available when I first started in the trade, I spent the first 9 years at the bench using one of these and also a Birmingham sidelight with a blow tube. Later in my career we had small electric blowers fitted under the benches to replace mouth blowing on the same torches. It wasn't until 1970 that we first had Oxy/natural gas torches fitted to our benches, but the older craftsmen still preferred using their old torches for most jobs.

James

Thanks Peter and James

I know people use if for medical reasons but then I guess they don't usually have a torch attached to the end of it lol

I'm probably a bit paranoid about the Sievert and about propane in general. I re-tighten all the joints on the Sievert every week - or store the gas bottle outside if I'm having a break or going away, and I also use a small torch butane torch for small work so I can avoid changing the sievert one to the tiny one whenever I want to make a bezel. I use propane for cooking too, and I live on a boat, and I've heard so many horror stories about propane gathering in the bilge and then exploding.

You can get flammable gas detectors quite cheaply; an easy way to check for leaks is to dribble soapy water over joints and see if bubbles form. There are more expensive cans of leak detector spray available, but they're not that different to soapy water.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    YES. And it'll probably invalidate your house insurance.
    Would a calor gaz bottle invalidate insurance too cos they make gas cookers for rural areas to take calor.