Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sievert Blow Torch

Quote Originally Posted by BarryM View Post
    Nick - which Oxycon do you use and what is the required Oxygen flow rate for the size 7 tip ?
    Nick can of course answer the question for himself, but I thought I'd add a note here.

Probably the cheapest suitable oxy-con you're going to find retail in the UK is something like the refurbished 5 litre per minute unit on this page for £235 (or £241.45 complete with connector for Smith torch) - http://www.tuffnellglass.com/contents/en-uk/d103.html - though you can sometimes pick these up for less on the Frit Happens Forum from a glassworker who's upgrading or selling up. One of these will provide more than enough for the larger tips on the Smith, even the multi-jet tip for melting/casting. I couldn't tell you what the recommended flow rate would be for the different tips, but it's easy enough to find by trial and error, by adjusting the flow control on the oxycon itself and/or by incorporating a simple valve somewhere along the tube. I'd be interested to know what experience people have of smaller, more portable oxy-cons with the Smith.

I have mine connected up to the same setup as two glassworking torches, using two larger 10 LPM oxycons which I got from the US for $500 each plus shipping and import charges - even with just one of those oxycons running I have to open up the oxygen taps on one of the big torches to relieve pressure and reduce oxygen flow to the Smith.

Alan

Rural Somerset, between Yeovil and Shepton Mallet

Alan, thanks for your excellent help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Barry the Flying Silversmith👍

Hello Barry,

I bought my Oxycon from Tufnell Glass like most others on here.

The flowrate from the Oxycon is more than enough to power the Smiths Torch, in fact its more than required. I use most of the tips including the multi-jet nozzle for melting and casting, and it works perfectly on pretty much the lowest setting!

As others will surely tell you, the only thing you need to remember is to leave the Oxycon running for maybe 20-30 mins in order to fill what I imagine is the air reservoir within the unit with purified air before lighting the torch, otherwise it will extinhguish quickly.

Hope this helps. There's a thread somewhere on the forum that has pics and explanations of how it all fits together if you search for it.

Cheers,

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by BarryM View Post
    Nick - which Oxycon do you use and what is the required Oxygen flow rate for the size 7 tip ?

If you have an out of house workshop, then you can always use an oxy cylinder to power your Smiths Little Torch, I have used Oxy cylinders for Oxy/gas torches for the past 45 years. For reasonable priced Oxy cylinders check out this company; http://www.adamsgas.co.uk/hobby-gas-...-bottle-detail no annual rental costs like BOC.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Nick martin View Post
    the only thing you need to remember is to leave the Oxycon running for maybe 20-30 mins in order to fill what I imagine is the air reservoir within the unit with purified air before lighting the torch
    An oxycon in good condition should only need a few minutes warm-up to start producing oxygen at maximum purity - though you need to remember to open up the oxygen tap of your torch to flush out any air in the tube. These work by running air through a zeolite molecular sieve which adsorbs the nitrogen leaving oxygen at around 93-95% purity. The sieve is periodically purged with a short blast of oxygen, which is why they sound a bit as if they are breathing and why the oxygen flow may fluctuate slightly. To keep the molecular sieve in good condition, it's important to have a good clean air filter on the intake and to avoid moisture getting in.

Quote Originally Posted by ajda View Post
    An oxycon in good condition should only need a few minutes warm-up to start producing oxygen at maximum purity - though you need to remember to open up the oxygen tap of your torch to flush out any air in the tube.
    Bearing in mind the larger the volume of the tube you use, the longer it'll take to flush through - but even so, we're still not talking 20 mins.

I've had my sievert for a very long time and it only recently started flaring so I wouldn't have said it's a common problem unless it's a problem with the newer torches. Mine was spitting and then flaring so I boiled out the nozzle and then put it back on with an adjustable spanner as said and touch wood... It does give you a fright and strangely mine didn't seem to be due to any loose joints

I have a calor gaz cylinder, its in a spare bedroom so not ideal but it works OK. Not sure if its what I am supposed to use but Calor bought nozzle and tube at the same time to make up the set.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Bearing in mind the larger the volume of the tube you use, the longer it'll take to flush through - but even so, we're still not talking 20 mins.
    Agreed - the point is that oxycons should take only a few minutes to get up to speed with oxygen purity. Whether it's Smith on one oxycon or Bethlehem Bravo on two, I'm normally using the torch within 3 or 4 minutes from switching on, just the time it takes to sort my workspace out... or find my specs! But I have been caught out by not opening up the oxygen tap and then finding I can't keep the flame alight till it has flushed through.
    Last edited by ajda; 09-09-2015 at 02:18 PM.

Rural Somerset, between Yeovil and Shepton Mallet

Quote Originally Posted by Nick martin View Post
    Hello Barry,

I bought my Oxycon from Tufnell Glass like most others on here.....

Hope this helps. There's a thread somewhere on the forum that has pics and explanations of how it all fits together if you search for it.
    Thanks Nick, all good stuff.

Barry the Flying Silversmith👍