Thread: Files / Different metals

Default Files / Different metals

Hello all,

Does everyone use a complete different set of files ( needle and full size ) for each metal they work with?

I.E sets for gold, silver, argentium, platinum and so on?

Or do you simply clean your files thoroughly in an ultrasonic or with a brush to avoid cross-contamination of metals?

I'm branching out a little and now working a bit with gold and silver, and dont want to cause problems when it comes to getting pieces assayed.

Thanks,

Nick

Platinum gets its own set for me to avoid contamination. Gold & silver (sometimes copper) get another. Steel yet another...
    I use a piece of copper as a file card on small files, the standard file cards are too big for needle files.
    I don't put files in the ultrasonic - a) too much faff stopping them bumping into each other and b) I'd have to spend so much time carefully heat drying them that it's probably not worth it.

I use the same files on all metals and have done so for 54 years without ever having an assay problem. I work with a bench skin and all I do when changing metals is clean my bench and bench skin, keeping separate lemels in tuppaware tubs as I have done for years. I clean large files with a file brush after use, brushing any lemel into my bench skin, but I don't bother with needle files.

James

Thats helpful to know Peter / James, and appreciate the quick replies.

Thanks as always,

Nick

The thing I missed off is that my platinum set are Valtitan, which is the other reason they get segregated.