Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: big green thing

Default big green thing

my first show and tell... be honest and unmerciful! Any sort of criticism is helpful to me.

The split band was attempt for something else. I messed up joining the two bands(on the part you can't see) so I used it for this stone my mom had laying around. I don't even know what it is, turquoise?

The thing that bothers me most on all my pieces so far - the very top or inside edge of the bezel (what is that called anyhow?) I can't get it smooth mirror-like. I can always see crappy imperfections at certain angles when the light reflects off that edge. It drives me nuts. I'm going to try sanding the bezel top through all the grits before setting stones on the next rings. Do people do that?

Thanks!
    Adam
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 82415__green_side_B.jpg   82415__green_turq_top.jpg  

Adam that is beautiful, love the colour too. Well done, love to see some more of your work. I am not really qualified to tell you about setting stones but have done quite a few, but I know some people go around the top edge with a scorper, never tried it myself but have thought to try it out on one of my early makes. I just carefully use a no.6 file very carefully to smooth the edges but I have smoothed the edge of the file so it doesnt damage the stone. I am sure someone more experienced than me will be on the forum shortly, to me it looks very good.

Hi Adam
    That is beautiful, I sometimes think we are too critical about our own work and see what others don't see! It looks great to me

Quote Originally Posted by LorryFizz View Post
    Hi Adam
    That is beautiful, I sometimes think we are too critical about our own work and see what others don't see! It looks great to me
    Same POV as LorryFizz

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    I know some people go around the top edge with a scorper
    James (aka Goldsmith) gave some useful tips on this in a recent post - http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7271 - see page 2.

Yes, It's a great job. I would say that the bezel strip you are using is too thin, so that the top edge has nothing you can file. If you use minimum thickness 0.4mm strip cut from sterling, or even easier, fine silver, you will have more success.
    For instance you can turn the ring upside down (without the stone) and rub the bezel on fine sand paper, to make it perfectly even.

Then after setting it will be much easier to file the edge lightly and finish it.

If trying the stone in before you are ready to set it, lay some dental floss across the floor with plenty projecting, so that you can yank the stone out again if it sticks. Dennis.

Thanks guys!

Dennis, when filing the edge, what file do you use and do you protect the stone somehow? When you say file the edge, do you mean to round out the right angle of the bezel strip wire? This bezel was fine silver, I think 30 gauge. It looks like 26 gauge is 0.41mm?

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by kraftrourke View Post
    Thanks guys!

Dennis, when filing the edge, what file do you use and do you protect the stone somehow? When you say file the edge, do you mean to round out the right angle of the bezel strip wire? This bezel was fine silver, I think 30 gauge. It looks like 26 gauge is 0.41mm?
    Yes you are right about the gauge. Filing can be done with any needle files that have one flat surface, which is all but the round ones.

You have to polish off the teeth along one edge, first on a sharpening stone or diamond plate and then successive sandpapers until very smooth. Ending up with silicone rubber wheels is ideal.

All that remains is to remember to use only the safe side against your stone and gently at that. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gauge convertion.jpg  

I use a file which is quite blunt and on most stones it doesnt scratch them. It is lovely and like you I use fine silver for bezels.I also use a fine pointed burnished made from some nickel silver wire of about 3/8 thick.