Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kiln recommendations for Brass and Copper art clay

Default Kiln recommendations for Brass and Copper art clay

Hi everyone

I am after my first kiln and would like to see what people are recommending as I have never used one before, I torch fire all my silver clay and have been for years, which is fine but I would like to start using copper and brass art clay, which can only be fired in kiln, well copper can be torch fired but have had a few issues with this on the time I am firing, being it was about 28 grams , there was cracking the next day so I can only assume the time was not long enough , so I though it may just be easier to get a kiln , although I don't want to spend a fortune.
    I may look into a second hand one I have been recommended paragon SC2 what do you all think.

Many Thanks
    Michelle xxx

Ps fully aware may not be many people on as mothers day xxx

Hi Michelle,

I don't use art clay I'm afraid but I'm very happy with my Paragon SC2.

PS took my mother-in-law to a posh restaurant for lunch and she spent the whole time complaining about the live musical trio who, in my opinion, were very good. She kept saying in a loud voice every time they stopped for a break "I hope they've stopped for good now"! Next year it'll be the chippie!

Arrrrhhh bless Caroleallen my mum would be the same ,
    Although my dad took her out one time and found her eating all of the king pawns heads and shells lol, then moaned she didn't like them as they were to crunchy lol.

Thank you though on the kiln its so hard to decide when your not sure , so always nice to have other peoples thoughts on these things

Michelle

What did you get in the end Michelle? ... I'm dipping my toes into the water of purchasing a kiln, although need to save up to do it first ... so am interested in what you chose and your experience with it etc ... I've had similar experiences with torching copper clay so need to go down this route ...

Assuming you don't need a big one, I would recommend checking out some of the small muffle kilns, made by Kilncare, Efco and Uhlig for example - designed mainly for enamelling and glass bead annealing but also ideal for PMC.

Kilncare is an excellent UK company who produce one of their own called the Beadcube, popular with beadmakers, many of whom also dabble in PMC. They also stock a similar one by Efco. The cheapest Efco is around £275 (inc VAT and delivery) but comes without controller which is far from ideal, while the Beadcube is £560 all in and comes with programmable controller. I have one of their larger glass fusing kilns as well as one of their stand-alone controllers to use with my old Uhlig (a small muffle kiln similar to the Efco and the Beadcube). Their kilns are top quality, they are great people to go to for advice, and their after sales service is second to none. The guy to talk to there is Lee: www.kilncare.co.uk

Suitable kilns do crop up 2nd hand from time to time - though in good condition they hold their value so a real bargain is hard to come by - maybe worth checking on eBay, and well worth looking (and perhaps asking) on the Frit Happens Forum: www.frit-happens.co.uk

Alan

Thank you for taking the time to reply Alan! ... I shall look into what you suggested ...

I am in South West England too, which part are you in?

Just outside Axminster Patstone ... not too far from you ...

We will have to meet up for a chat one day.

I'm so sorry ... I disappeared for quite some time then didn't I! ... how rude, I do apologise Patstone. Yes, it would be lovely to meet up for a chat one day ... soon?