Thread: Moldable plastic

Thumbs up Moldable plastic

I don't know if others have used this technique, but I have made a couple of spinner rings and needed to open out the sides with a spherical tool. Not having any punches big enough I did the following.
    Put my brass coming block in a jug of boiling water and press the mouldable plastic in the dome size you need, then as the brass transmits heat very well you get the dome quickly.
    Run both under cold water and voila one dome punch. As long as the metal is annealed then the punch usually works and can be melted again to another size.
    I bought the plastic at Mindsets online, they provide scientific products to schools and you can find amazing stuff there

Dear Vernon,
    Thank you for posting this useful idea. Many of us already have Coolmorph or Polymorph for modifying tools, or fixing work prior to engraving or stone setting,so this adds to the list of what they can do. Dennis

What a great idea - and I've already thought of a use for it! Thanks Vernon

I use it a lot for making jigs to hold odd-shaped pieces in my engraving machine.

I have a little round box that is a bit too big for my ring mandrel and too small for my bangle mandrel. I think I shall try padding out the ring mandrel with Polymorph. Don't know why I didn't think of it before. Thanks Vernon.

I just got some of this stuff last week but haven't played with it yet. Great idea to use it for doming - my steel doming punches are all quite small and my larger wooden ones very rough and primitive, so I'm definitely going to try the poymorph...

Been using this brilliant stuff for a while now - mixed with pine resin and candle wax I even use it for dopping my wood and resin pieces for shaping and polishing!

',;~}~

Shaun.