Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Theme Competition September 2015 – Back to School

Default Theme Competition September 2015 – Back to School

Hello Everyone,

Whether your kids are back at school or it's you who is the student, September is the time for learning to recommence! So we thought it would only be appropriate for this month’s theme to be BACK TO SCHOOL

This theme is a little bit more open to interpretation, you could go for the literal and create a wonderful jewel encrusted exercise book, or it could be something that reminds you of your school days. Or if you are learning a new jewellery making skill you could showcase your progressing work, after all you might be at school but you can still learn!

The winner will get a £100 Cooksongold shopping spree so make sure you enter this month's competition!

So get creating, making and entering!

Good luck!

Hi everyone,

Our themed competition for September is now in full swing, and we are excited to receive your 'Back to School' themed entries.

Don't forget to enter - you could be in with a chance of winning a £100 Cooksongold shopping spree!

Good luck!

Work in progress...

Hi everyone,

There's only just over a week left to go in this month's Back to School themed competition - don't forget to submit your entry!

Good luck everyone

Back to school... When I was about 10 at a small boarding school in Kenya (complete with burned porridge for breakfast, ghosts in two of the dormitories and a very scary Headmaster with a fondness for caning), no self-respecting boy would have been without his trusty penknife. In these days of gangs and knife-crime I suspect things have changed, but perhaps those returning to Hogwarts for the new school year might still be allowed theirs for sharpening quill pens (and just to illustrate, I've made a glass inkwell in my big torch and helped myself to a quill from one of our feline neighbour's killing grounds). Of course those little wizards and witches could probably use magic, but as we all know sometimes there's no substitute for old-fashioned low-tech hand tools... Anyhow, here's my entry for September, a locking penknife pendant, Argentium 960 silver with handle pieces carved from a lump of Whitby jet which I traded years ago for a glass pendant and have been wondering what to do with ever since.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pk01.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	8180Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pk02.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	8181Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pk03.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	8182Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pk04.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	8183

Well I love this piece, but you would need a 'good reason' to wear it out and about in the UK or risk being in reach of the 'long arm'. Appreciating this is a piece of jewellery, the law doesn't make provision for size or materials unfortunately. Not sure if you're in the UK; sorry to bring bad news if indeed you are.

A good point, Metalsmith - you don't think the Old Bill would swallow my quill pen thing as a good enough reason to be carrying it?
    Seriously, though, I do understand that and I don't intend to sell it, give it away or wear it myself. It'll join a little collection of curiosities that I've made just for the challenge/fun of it. But some of the skills I've learned in the process will I hope be applicable to other more practical and wearable pieces...
    Alan

It's fine as long as the blade doesn't lock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Interesting blade, pen is mightier than the sword would seem apt for the quill shape. It is lovely.

Here is my learning curve.

Small knuckle hinges, set into the design, tension lock, locket. I have made a hinged piece before, but the hinges sat on the outside. Getting quite precise with the measurements to make this happen was something I have been honing. Perhaps that comes with the years, and not wanting to waste materials? (Although this nearly need up into the scrap pot after an issue with a soldered hinge). I love soldering, but even with rouge, this was a difficult part to do. Unsoldering, cleaning up: filing back to remove solid knuckles: redoing... I learned after the 3rd attempt. Knuckles were made from solid wire that had been drilled through, as it was more economical that way.

Getting the lock to be precise: Was a matter of using and applying measurements, and, then I learned that once the sticking out post was in place, when pressed to its opposing half, left a small indent and scuff on the marked out area. Thus making sure it was the exact opposite! I get how computers could make this a doddle.

I matched the bale texture with the body texture. Inside has a starlight pattern courtesy of a diamond burr. I have some acetate to go into the space for retaining any keepsake placed inside.

Oooh, the size. The locket is 23mm x 13 (depth, when closed) the bail is 7mm.

Attachment 8188
    Last edited by Wallace; 24-09-2015 at 10:53 AM. Reason: bigger photo

Quote Originally Posted by solitarysmagick View Post
    It's fine as long as the blade doesn't lock
    Quite right ... not sure if now its all together it would come apart, but just rounding the locking mechanism so it doesn't catch would do the trick...

But then anyone wearing a pendant / ear-chains, conkers on strings or going fishing is "technically" carrying kusari