Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Ijl

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLAO View Post
    We didn't have a stand this year mainly due to the silly costs involved compared to the return on the investment.
    I've seen... The costs for even a small stand are rather high (and I'd have doubts on the ROI for most of the small jewellers there). Still, Edinburgh and Birmingham chose to fork out - but perhaps there's more of a need for them as the show isn't in their back yard.

Yeah so I saw....I guess we all have different marketing strategies?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLAO View Post
    I guess we all have different marketing strategies?
    Which reminds me: There was a German stand with less conventional gem stones. A prominent notice said 'Minimum purchase €100'. That is not much, but decidedly a disincentive.

The stand was not busy. Was that a useful marketing strategy? Dennis.

I will. Is Dave Merry going to be there, and you of course, we always see him when we come up. We have a small bunch of stuff to be hallmarked, so will drop that in at the same time.

I enjoyed wandering round, tools were a bit sparse but there was a nice German exhibitor selling just about every rotary polishing bit know to man & woman. I also had a chat with Jura thinking about doing a setting course after Christmas. Sorry out paths didn't cross Peter theres always next time !

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Which reminds me: There was a German stand with less conventional gem stones. A prominent notice said 'Minimum purchase €100'. That is not much, but decidedly a disincentive.
    The stand was not busy. Was that a useful marketing strategy? Dennis.
    I didn't see that one, but slapping a minimum purchase on would put me off - even if I was looking for stones of a higher value.

Quote Originally Posted by josef1 View Post
    I enjoyed wandering round, tools were a bit sparse but there was a nice German exhibitor selling just about every rotary polishing bit know to man & woman. I also had a chat with Jura thinking about doing a setting course after Christmas. Sorry out paths didn't cross Peter theres always next time !
    I saw the polishing bit stand; couldn't get near it as it was mobbed. I'm a bit picky about bits now, I usually want brand names so I can be sure of the quality (and shank strength with some of the larger bits).
    The course is good, heavy going - but budget for the tools too if you don't already have them. Jura warned me that the newer tool fittings are slightly larger than the older ones, which makes them incompatible unless you modify them.

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    I will. Is Dave Merry going to be there, and you of course, we always see him when we come up. We have a small bunch of stuff to be hallmarked, so will drop that in at the same time.
    Yes Dave will be there with me. Look forward to seeing you!

Well, I'm back. Great and successful trip with many pearls and findings found. pedometer readings
    average of days before show proper going around wholesalers in Kowloon: 8,500
    First day of show:12,729
    second day of show :7,507
    walking around airports there and back:8453 (airbus A380 tends to need a parking spot at the ends of the gates)
    I took a quick snap of the pearl hall (one of 15 halls at one of the two venues) as I left. This is the view of one aisle. Maybe 20 stands...and there were 25 aisles. 15 halls. I only got around the pearl hall for the two days. There's another with diamonds, another with coloured gems, another with jade..etc etc
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8kAyC3ZP.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	8173
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Well what have you got that we should snap up then Wendy?

are you in urgent need of pearls Dennis? Some findings but I think you have that covered. Photos of some finds in blog at http://www.pearlescence.co.uk/blog/
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk