Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stone setting in London

If you get bored, City Lit is well placed for a quick trip to Hatton Garden. Visit Cookson, Walsh, Euro Findings AE Ward, Holts or even leave some work at the mini assay office.

Leather Lane, the next parallel street, has S&M hardware, which looks deceptively well, like a hardware shop, but has all sorts of jewellery tools at bargain prices.

The 243 bus goes from Kingsway, up Clerkenwell Road. The stop is opposite Holborn station. Dennis.

Getting excited we are coming up to London for the Goldsmith Fair I hope, and will visit all the shops you mention. I wonder if the tools shop you mention would have a cheap rolling mill, next question would I be able to carry it all the way back to Devon.......

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    Getting excited we are coming up to London for the Goldsmith Fair I hope, and will visit all the shops you mention. I wonder if the tools shop you mention would have a cheap rolling mill, next question would I be able to carry it all the way back to Devon.......
    No they don't Pat, mostly hand tools, but I rarely get out of there without buying something. They do have Proxxon accessories, such as a three jaw chuck for the bench drill and sometimes discounted Proxxon tools. Dennis

I have a Proxxon stand drill which I love, but I am a tool junkie too, my husband says "more tools?"

Thanks Susie! Your comment was really useful and I've signed up for the stone setting course.

I tend to not spread out too too much - or I'm at least always constrained by the space I have - so I should be fine there. Or if not, I'll pick up some smaller-working tips maybe.

I have a foredom and a little soldering space at home, and I'd be happy to take those tasks away where possible - it's really the metal-moving bits that I'm struggling with now, and that's the bit I think that watching and talking to an expert will help me most with.

I'll report back on how it all goes!

Marna, forgot to say if you are able to take your own set of pliers with you, it's well worth doing as the class ones are used by lots of students. Some of the sets they have are okay, but it's frustrating if you happen to pick up a grotty set! Just make sure yours are well labelled.

Quote Originally Posted by susieq View Post
    Marna, forgot to say if you are able to take your own set of pliers with you, it's well worth doing as the class ones are used by lots of students. Some of the sets they have are okay, but it's frustrating if you happen to pick up a grotty set! Just make sure yours are well labelled.
    Yes agreed. If left around, they are quickly picked up by someone else and afterwards added to the pool. I attend a college once a week, and mine are marked with a dab of distinctive nail colour. Dennis.