Thread: Hi from Aberdeenshire

Default Hi from Aberdeenshire

Hi, I am totally new to this... I live in Aberdeenshire and will start going to jewellery classes next month... First time ever! I am setting up a jewellery bench in my studio and looking at what tools to get.... So daunting... I don't know where to start! I will also want some additional one to one classes in my area, anybody willing to teach?
    Lisette

Hi Lisette, welcome from me.
    I'm in Fife so a bit far away for you. If you put a search for workbenches and starter tools you'll find quite a few posts on here that were helpful for members starting out

Thanks Caroline, lovely work... Inspiring! Will search as you said, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Hi Lisette, welcome from me.
    I'm in Fife so a bit far away for you. If you put a search for workbenches and starter tools you'll find quite a few posts on here that were helpful for members starting out
    Lisette

Quote Originally Posted by Lisette View Post
    Thanks Caroline, lovely work... Inspiring! Will search as you said, thanks.
    Thank you there is just about everything on past posts but we are always happy to answer any questions if we can!

If you buy tools and a workbench in advance of any experience you are liable to make huge and expensive mistakes.

Get some teaching first and start with a modest project that requires a minimum of tools, already tried out elsewhere.

Many of us started at home using perhaps an A3 cutting mat as a work surface and a roasting tin as a soldering station.

Above all be sure you will persevere with this and only buy tools needed for the work in hand.

Kits will lumber you with inadequate or superfluous stuff, so buy tools individually and choose well.

Welcome to the forum, Dennis.

Thanks Dennis, you are right, I will buy only a few things to start off with... I don't really know right now what I will like, but looking forward to it! Thanks
    Lisette

When do buy tools, get the best if you can. I have loads of pliers etc that I bought 5 years ago when I started that are just sat in a drawer taking up space. Seems wasteful to dispose of things like that, but the cheap ones were a waste of money. Same with saws, I have three, the first one was very cheap from a DIY store and the second was better from Cookies, then I plunged for a Knew Concept saw also from Cookies. The expensive one doesnt make me saw any straighter by the way, but the quick release tension adjuster make life easier.

Default Hi, from Aberdeenshire

Hi, thanks, I was just looking at which one to get and wondered what to do, so will go for that one, at this stage just getting a bench peg and saw and very little more till I know more about things! Thanks

QUOTE=Patstone;81752]When do buy tools, get the best if you can. I have loads of pliers etc that I bought 5 years ago when I started that are just sat in a drawer taking up space. Seems wasteful to dispose of things like that, but the cheap ones were a waste of money. Same with saws, I have three, the first one was very cheap from a DIY store and the second was better from Cookies, then I plunged for a Knew Concept saw also from Cookies. The expensive one doesnt make me saw any straighter by the way, but the quick release tension adjuster make life easier.[/QUOTE]
    Lisette

I agree with Dennis, wait to start classes before you buy anything. When I first started (I'm still a learner and only a hobbiest) the first tools I bought at home for metalwork were files. It was something I could easily do at home rather than take up a lot of classroom time when I could be working on something more complicated for me to learn. Next I wanted to be able to saw at home ... so I bought a bench peg, a basic saw and blades. Only to find that I didn't have anywhere at home to set up my benchpeg so it was at the proper height for sawing. And then of course I wanted to be able to solder at home so .... So wait until you know exactly what you'll need for what you want to do.